Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5/SQ5 high mileage usage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Q5/SQ5 high mileage usage?

I guess this question could apply to Audis in general, though I'm specifically wondering about the Q5/SQ5. We very recently (like 1 week) bought my wife a Q5 3.0, after a couple decades each of Japanese car ownership. I am completely smitten with the car, and am already trying to figure a way of justifying an Audi for myself in the next 1 - 2 years. The issue is, I use my car for work and it sees a lot of miles. Approximately 25K per year, including person use. Having 2 separate cars for work/personal use is not an option. I'm currently driving a 2015 Outback 3.6, and it serves my purposes well. There are a lot of obvious reasons why an Audi (particularly the SQ5 that I really want) wouldn't be the ideal car for this situation, but because I spend so much time in my car it needs to be an environment that I enjoy. Since I'd be out of warranty in 2 years on a new car, and at 100K in 4, I think I'd be looking at a CPO with <10K miles so that I could get the 100K limited warranty. Am I crazy for thinking of an Audi (particularly the SQ5) for these purposes?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:57 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

The gas mileage... if that is a concern for you.
I assume you are almost all highway so you may be able to eek out the advertised 24mpg.
But in my experience even that is difficult unless you routinely drive very gingerly at 50mph on flat highway....and then why get such a fine (fast) automobile.

FWIW me/my wife average maybe 18mpg mixed.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive mine that much to and from work. MPG would be your only concern.
Why not enjoy the trip daily and maybe even blow off some steam whilst on your way home?

I call it decompression time.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 05-21-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven my '14 SQ5 50k miles in 18 months. I average just over 20mpg. It's been a real treat to drive this car every morning. I've only done oil changes, replaced the tires last week, and the brake pads are like new. When you drive this much you're always going to depreciate more than normal. It probably costs me $2000 more a year (in depreciation) to drive a nice car. Only problem I have is slow traffic. This car is very easy to drive too fast. Only one ticket, the first week I owned it. The nice officer said my low and high speeds were all reckless driving in VA. So he liked the car and only wrote me for 70/55. You only live once. You should treat yourself well, and drive what makes you happy.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Ward, you don't say if you own the pizzeria or just deliver their pies.(G)

Actually if you are a business owner, it can make very good sense to own two cars. The business car and all associated costs including a nice depreciation allowance get written off, and the IRS PREFERS TO SEE TWO CARS. That way, they don't argue about whether your mileage journals improperly omitted a trip to the 7-11, there's no Solomonic Wisdom required. Which of course, also should cut that mileage down. (Unless you just deliver pizzas for fun in your spare time.(G)

You might ask your local dealer about extended warranties and AudiCare, as well.

Buying a used car...that's more like religion and politics. Works better for some folks than others. Whole different set of considerations.

Of course if you work for someone else and there are "business reimbursement" considerations, that could be a whole different story anyway.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I own the pizzeria, but also bake and deliver all the pizzas. Separate personal and business cars just don't make sense for me for several reasons. Partially financial, but also we have a 2 car garage and no room for a third car in the driveway without at least partially blocking the garage. We also live on a hill on a windy road with no street parking. The appeal of the Q is that it bridges the gap between nice car and work horse. My Outback has filled that spot pretty nicely, though with a much heavier emphasis on work horse. I'd probably kill myself if I had to do all the work miles I do in an econobox, and still probably wouldn't get to drive the "nice" car enough to justify it. Anyway, I'm finding that my Outback seems to be commanding a pretty good premium as a trade in (I've been offered $28K, and I paid $34K new almost 2 years and 43,000 miles ago), so I'm already into negotiations on another Q5. Decided that the SQ was too extravagant for my purposes, as tempting as it is, so I'm looking at another 3.0 Premium Plus (Daytona Gray w/black optic), and will try to whittle them down on the extended warranty.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope you are at least writing off the portion of the car used for the business. I know this doesn't address your main topic but had to say it.

In regards to the mileage issue, look at it this way: no matter how you use a car, it is a depreciating asset. There is no point in trying to justify purchasing what you want. As long as you have the means and it's within reason, get what you want and enjoy it.

Frankly the main criteria should be:
What do you need (function)
What do you want (desire)
How much can you spend
How much do you want to spend
How much will your wife let you spend
In the end what can you live with

Then you accept that you will use the car and when you're done using it, it will be worth less than you paid. Done. End of story. By whatever the F you want as long as you can actually do it.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Definitely writing off the business portion. Went through it with my accountant when I incorporated, and we determined that the standard mileage deduction made the most sense. I'm basically looking at it like you laid out above. I can afford it, and it will bring me a lot more pleasure burning up the road in a car that makes me happy. The SQ would have tipped the scale beyond what I think I can justify on the home front, though I could technically afford it. Plus I'm still getting long term use out of the car from a mileage standpoint, but still get to purchase a new car every 4 years. Part of my "concern", is that even though the Q5 has proven to be a reliable car, is it going be practical/dependable when I get to that 80k - 100k mark? Guess there's only one way to find out.