Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 / SQ5 -- Off roading capabilities.... please share your experiences!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 / SQ5 -- Off roading capabilities.... please share your experiences!

I've been in sports cars/sedans for the last ~15 years... think I am ready for a sport/utility vehicle.

Currently have a '12 S4, and love it.

Saw the SQ5, and I really like it. Currently looking at the Range Rover Sport, too.

I don't live in Moab and I'm not going to do any extreme off-roading. The Range Rover is amazing in this regard, but lacks some of the on-road characteristics I'd grow to miss.

Wondering if the SQ5 fits the bill.

I think the only difference between the Q5 and SQ5 are the tires... while that is significant, capabilities should be similar otherwise.

Youtube videos are limited, so curious to hear some real-world experiences. How capable are these Q5s off-road?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Drew -
What kid of "off road" are your thinking of?

True off roaders have a transfer case, allowing the driver to select between 4wd hi and 4wd low. Clearly the Q5 is not in that category. Ground clearance and lack of skid plates is another reason not to go rock crawling in a Q5.

You planning on offroading in hard packed dirt - no problem. Taking a hard packed dirt road to a favorite camp site fishing hole, no problem. Hard packed sand, sure, but make sure it is indeed hard packed.

Mudding? Forget it. Mud is one of the most difficult things to deal with in a true off road vehicle because the tire tread fills with mud and you are left with a slick tire and you're going nowhere.

There are plenty of advantages to having a full time 4wd system like Quattro, but true off roading isn't one of them.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm not an off-roader (not by plan, at least) but Motor Trend in their recent SUV of the year review had some nice things to say about the SQ5's capabilities in this regard:
"We were surprised at how good a driver the SQ5 was, on-road and off. So good, in fact, that we had to drive the SQ5 differently from any other vehicle in the competition. Off-road, we felt like we were driving a WRC car. The drivetrain worked perfectly and really let us hang it out before bringing us back to reality."

Steve
Old 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Agreed; suspension bits...it's a "car"

Agreed not a true off roader, though plenty of capability to deal with the typical dirt and gravel road stuff. It also doesn't have a steel suspension that you would also expect in the big time off road stuff--as in, sturdier to take real beatings. The aluminum is good for unsprung weight on the road of course. Audis moved away from predominantly steel suspensions (up front) in the late 90's. The modern bushing set ups Audi uses with the suspension parts probably wouldn't do great with a sustained beating either.

More generally as a modern design like most vehicles now, it's not body on frame either that would be often found in tough off road scenarios. Ultimately what is underneath is a car--essentially an A5 lifted up and with bigger wheels.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
Drew -
What kid of "off road" are your thinking of?

True off roaders have a transfer case, allowing the driver to select between 4wd hi and 4wd low. Clearly the Q5 is not in that category. Ground clearance and lack of skid plates is another reason not to go rock crawling in a Q5.

You planning on offroading in hard packed dirt - no problem. Taking a hard packed dirt road to a favorite camp site fishing hole, no problem. Hard packed sand, sure, but make sure it is indeed hard packed.

Mudding? Forget it. Mud is one of the most difficult things to deal with in a true off road vehicle because the tire tread fills with mud and you are left with a slick tire and you're going nowhere.

There are plenty of advantages to having a full time 4wd system like Quattro, but true off roading isn't one of them.

There lies the difference. Makes sense. Thanks. Realistically, I'm probably only going to venture down roads that have been driven before... so nothing that the Q5 can't handle. But... in those instances where it looks tough especially after rainfall, I'd want it to push through environments where it would otherwise be questionable with a RWD/FWD SUV or less-capable AWD SUV. Like sand or slightly muddy roads. As far as dry ascents or descents, perhaps rocky (hard packed) dirt roads with ruts.

That would be the extent of what I'd want to be able to get through.

Thought I read there was a dealer option for skid plates? Hope there is... I'll look again.

BTW, this Q5 isn't doing too poorly in loose sand:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e2PQ-npibNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Embedded video didn't show... here's the YouTube link:

Old 10-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you looking at the new RR Sport or the last generation model? I'm asking this because the new RR looks to be a huge improvement over the last gen but is significantly more money than an SQ5.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jpg_91
Are you looking at the new RR Sport or the last generation model? I'm asking this because the new RR looks to be a huge improvement over the last gen but is significantly more money than an SQ5.
Yes, the new RRS. It is a big improvement, and also kind of pricey.

The base RRS can be had for $63-65k, which is pretty well equipped. The SQ5 the way I want it, close to that of how the RRS is equipped, won't be too far off.

The SQ5 is much faster on-road than the base V6 RRS, though. That's the trade off.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it works great in snow if that counts.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by drew4392
Yes, the new RRS. It is a big improvement, and also kind of pricey.

The base RRS can be had for $63-65k, which is pretty well equipped. The SQ5 the way I want it, close to that of how the RRS is equipped, won't be too far off.

The SQ5 is much faster on-road than the base V6 RRS, though. That's the trade off.

I have a 2010 RR Sport HSE and it was about 64k. We bought an SQ5 for my wife and it ended up at 61k. Yes the new Sport is a bit more expensive and I think a similar HSE to mine is at least 68-70k. Still, the difference in cost isn't significant, you're in range for sure. The new Sport as you already know is improved in many areas, including the weight loss. The old version is no slouch though, it's a fantastic vehicle. Even with the last gen, when it comes to offroading there is no comparison, it's what Land Rovers were engineered for. But the SQ5 excels in other areas.

I love driving both of our vehicles. But they are very different. If I had to choose between the two it would be VERY tough. I love the higher driving position and air suspension in the RR. The interior is very luxurious and it's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. Harsh, horrible roads feel fine in the RR. The SQ5 is like my old S4 and S5 in a different shell. So fast and responsive, amazing engine noise and for a crossover it's so car like in handling. I actually wish it was a big higher though. The nav and entertainment system is more advanced in the Audi and I think it's still better than the new Sport from what people are saying.

I suppose it would come down to what you want more, the luxury and sophistication of the RR Sport, or the feel of a sports car in a crossover shell with some more gadgetry. Also I hear people are having to wait a long time for an ordered RR Sport. Like 5 or 6 months. The factory is working 24hrs a day and they have a shortage of engines.

Quick Reply: Q5 / SQ5 -- Off roading capabilities.... please share your experiences!