Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 Q5 S-line reporting in . Had the fix done last week and here are the differences I observed after a few days of driving:
  • The "diesel engine sound" is a lot more noticeable especially in the first 30 minutes of driving. This is not the nice grunt sound but more like the weak, trembling "80s Mercedes diesel" sound. It does resemble a diesel truck which wasn't as apparent to me before while in the car.
  • Dynamic drive mode feels closer to comfort in terms of responsiveness. I can definitely sense some sort of an acceleration lag - kind of like a turbo lag instead of shifting-related lag though. This is probably the most annoying impact of the fix so far. The snappy feeling of dynamic + S-mode driving is still there but a lot less impressive. Harder to get that instant response I used to by just tapping on the gas pedal in this mode. Now there is a gap in the pedal sensitivity.
  • Shift points definitely changed like many others mentioned. Unless it causes the acceleration lag above, I haven't observed a practical impact of this so far. Probably hurts the mpg which I haven't measured carefully yet.
  • Engine brake behavior changed. I don't like this either but don't mind as much as it becomes negligible once you adapt.
Honestly I am surprised with the "I haven't noticed any difference" responses. Increased engine sound + acceleration lag are quite noticeable in my opinion.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are my impressions after getting the fix done last week:
  • First 20 min of driving when cold is drastically different, with the louder engine sounds and shift points. Very noticeable outside the car (or with window down), not as noticeable inside the car
  • Most annoying speeds are 30-35mph and 50-60mph, as the car holds gears way too long
  • When the engine is still cold, tapping the paddle shifters does *not* shift up. When the engine is warm though, you can at least manually tell the car to shift up, and reduce the droning
  • The engine downshifting to 1st that typically happens somewhere between 10-5mph when braking seems to be gone, so be prepared for that and adjust your braking when driving to prevent low speed rear-enders
  • When the engine does warm up, these changes aren't as noticeable thankfully. The name of the game is to get your car warm as fast as possible i guess.
I also found that Carista has the ability to turn on Audi Drive Select for all you non S-line TDI owners out there. This may help some of the changes feel less drastic. Keeping the car in "Dynamic" throttle mode helps a lot, and you feel less of the rubber band throttle with the new shift points, and less of the "Are you sure?" pauses before the power comes on.

I'm sure if you do not proactively shift up using the paddles (once the engine is warm) at the 30-35mph and 50-60mph, you will notice a large drop in fuel mileage. It all depends on your commute and traffic. If you spend a lot of time at those speeds, it'll hurt. If you have faster roads or faster commute, the car will shift for you, and your mileage impact may be reduced.
​​​​
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

To put all this in perspective: On the one hand, some buyers who test drove the car would have been put off by the cold engine sound, etc, and bought something else. On the other hand, if they had shipped the cars clean, not only would they still be selling TDI’s, we would still be here explaining their superiority to the 2.0 gasser, instead of complaining how they are not as good as they once were. This was never the type of engine for city driving or short haul trips.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Mythdoc I have not had the "fix" yet so I speak from a position of ignorance , just reading about other people\s experiences.However what I'm counting on when it is done is that the 3.0L Tdi has such a big fat flat powerband that it can survive an apparently mild degradation and still be one of the best diesels out there. $8k and a really good warranty will help soften the blow.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

The more I hear these unfavorable fix reports for the Q5 TDI, the longer I am going to wait. You can wait until December 2019 to get repair and payment. Clearly if my vehicle has a mechanical failure covered under the extended emissions warranty, then I might take it in for the fix if they will cover the mechanical failure.

I wonder how the settlement attorneys are going to gather satisfaction regarding the fixed vehicles. I realize there are performance parameters stated in the settlement that would trigger renegotiation of damages.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
To put all this in perspective: On the one hand, some buyers who test drove the car would have been put off by the cold engine sound, etc, and bought something else. On the other hand, if they had shipped the cars clean, not only would they still be selling TDI’s, we would still be here explaining their superiority to the 2.0 gasser, instead of complaining how they are not as good as they once were. This was never the type of engine for city driving or short haul trips.
I can assure you that with this much acceleration delay, I would have never considered the TDI especially without the dynamic driving mode & S-line . I would put the current driving experience in comfort mode below 2.0 gasser, at least in city driving.

Not sure I understand the point of your comment about the engine not being for certain conditions. It sounds like you are insinuating something about us complainers here Could you elaborate?
Old 02-20-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Obviously the only thing that matters is the owner's perception of the changes.Hopefully lot's of people will post here as they experience the "fix". I anxiously want to read what it really means to the ownership experience.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:08 PM
eus
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This was never the type of engine for city driving or short haul trips.
It was a great engine for *both* city driving and long haul trips. I enjoyed my car on my 15 mile commute to and from work daily. I've never read in the marketing materials that you needed to drive more than X miles to have a diesel, or that you shouldn't live in a city, or near any traffic. Unfortunately, most of us who can afford Audis need to live where there are people and jobs.

The car I bought was fine in traffic and worked great as a daily driver and a weekend road-trip vehicle. It still works fine after the engine is warm -- what is quite annoying is how bad it is in the first 20 minutes until the engine warms up.

A lot of us here aren't "complaining" but rather just stating observations and tips for coping with what we've noticed. It is undeniable that there are changes, and for the most part these changes produce a worse driving experience. Judge for yourself whether the changes are mitigated by the compensation.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

^^I just posted this in the diesel forum. It gives you an idea of my impressions.

Further notes on the cold phase performance of the engine in my 2015 Q5.

Did a throttle reset before beginning to make sure I was starting with a clean slate. Here is the procedure for a throttle reset:

National "throttle reset" day - Feb 1st - Club Touareg Forums

- no lurching
- more clatter, but any diesel additive with lubricity will help with this
- shift points higher going from 3-4-5-6-7-8
- once upshifted can coast and slow down in same gear. In other words, after getting into 8th around 60mph, will stay in 8th all the way down to 50mph before it downshifts.
- no observable loss of power, just higher rpms

I honestly don’t understand what has folks so up in arms. Yes, you will experience a small drop in mpg with the changes, but this is entirely due to coasting at higher revs, not driving at higher revs. This engine has been designed to hit its best output between 1900 and 2600 rpms, and the current upshifting happens between 1900 and 2200, under light throttle.

From the performance side, I like it better now (yes, I know you don’t want to hear that.) From the efficiency side, yes, it will cost me a mpg or two. I like to drive for high efficiency, but I am more than willing to take this hit in exchange for the $10k I just got.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Addendum: on my Touareg, in wintertime, the mpg in city driving went to 18-19. And I *averaged* 26 because of long haul trips. So, I say again, this was not the engine to buy if your use was primarily short haul city driving.

Quick Reply: Q5 TDI Emissions Fix experiences