Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 timing chain failed at 70k

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 timing chain failed at 70k

It was my first Q5 and I have been pretty happy with it till one morning last week. The Q5 won't start. The car was still under four years, but the milage went over 50K. I took it in and the Minneapolis Audi found that the timing chain broke and the cost of repair $7700 dollars. It was published that the timing chain is designed to last the lifetime of the car. Well, it didn't. Called Audi USA and they contemplated for a few days and said they couldn't help me. I had such high belief of AUDI quality and found it unbelievable that the engine broke down at 70K. The reason AUD USA gave me for not being able to help with the repair cost is that my last two oil changes were done at an independent car service called ORR Autosport, which is a very reputable service company in Minnesota devoted to German cars. I simply can't believe what AIDI said. They simply don't like the fact that my last two oil change was not done at AUDI dealer.

How can I trust AUDI's quality when its engine breaks down at 70k? Any idea what I could do at this stage?
Old 05-16-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is some bad news for sure. I can't help at all but say that a new complete motor swap is got to cheaper than that
Old 05-16-2016, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming that you have the 2.0T engine. Someone on a VW forum that I'm on had the same issue with a 2.0T Tiguan recently. VW gave them the same excuse about the oil changes.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry to hear your pain. Can others chime in and share a positive story of Audi covering a timing chain failure with similar mileage and Audi only maintenance?
Old 05-17-2016, 04:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Timing chain

Originally Posted by BarryT
I'm assuming that you have the 2.0T engine. Someone on a VW forum that I'm on had the same issue with a 2.0T Tiguan recently. VW gave them the same excuse about the oil changes.
Thanks for sharing the story . I believe Audi should have a recall. I heard that Audi realised the issue and redesigned their timing chain and put on cars made after September 2012.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Thanks for sharing the story . I believe Audi should have a recall. I heard that Audi realised the issue and redesigned their timing chain and put on cars made after September 2012.
It was the timing chain tensioner. If you go on Facebook and search for The Humble Mechanic he has a video that shows why they fail. He's a VW Master Mechanic.
Old 05-17-2016, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BarryT
Yes, it is 2.0 engin. Are you aware of any other major issues with Q5? I am not sure if i should keep it or sell it? My son drives a Toyota and it had over 200k, I just can't comprehend any car breaks down at 70k. Even Hundai has a 100k warranty on their power train. Unbelievable.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DavidZ
Yes, it is 2.0 engin. Are you aware of any other major issues with Q5? I am not sure if i should keep it or sell it? My son drives a Toyota and it had over 200k, I just can't comprehend any car breaks down at 70k. Even Hundai has a 100k warranty on their power train. Unbelievable.
The 2.0T has had a lot of issues with water pumps, timing chain tensions, oil consumption, intake manifolds, and I'm sure there are other things too. I'd try a different dealership or appeal it with customer service. I don't see what an oil change would have to do with the timing chain tensioner failing.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did the Indy use VW/Audi spec oil? Can you prove they did? If so, you should have a case, especially if the engine has a history of failing
Old 05-17-2016, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There's a GTI with a failed timing chain tensioner this morning on a page that I follow. Call Audi and let them know that you're aware that the timing chain tensioner failure is a common issue and a crap design. They should have issued a recall on it a long time ago.

Last edited by BarryT; 05-17-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Q5 timing chain failed at 70k