Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 trailer wiring

I have a 2014 q5. Just installed an etrailer harness and it is not working. Will not power trailer lights. Any ideas??? Also when I hook up my trailer it doesn't want to recognize my key.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"when I hook up my trailer it doesn't want to recognize my key. "
Your trailer doesn't recognize your key?? Huh?

The Q5 uses CanBus controllers for almost everything. It expects an Audi trailer wiring controller in the trailer harness. You might want to check with etrailer to make sure you've got everything you need. Even with the right controller, the Q5 can throw a fit if bulbs are mismatched, i.e. if it expects tungsten but you have LED, or vice versa. The wiring and logic baffle most all of us. And, everyone in the trailer business apparently.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dkaiser3669
I have a 2014 q5. Just installed an etrailer harness and it is not working. Will not power trailer lights. Any ideas??? Also when I hook up my trailer it doesn't want to recognize my key.
we have a good quality 3rd party device to go from audi digital to 7 pin analog trailer

all is ok with the trailer and all works

we have a break controller that works well

the only thing we noticed is that when the cruise control is on and a trailer is connected, when the audi needs to slow slow down( like going down a hill) it applies the q5 brakes bu not the ones on the trailer

no serious issue yet but .....
Old 08-27-2017, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't think the normal cruise control (as opposed to a collision avoidance advanced system) could hit the brakes on a Q5 at all. The brake system being hydraulics, and the cruise control normally just connected to the engine throttle and transmission controller, electrical, with no interface between them.

So with no active braking from a cruise control system--no trailer braking either.

No idea if the collision avoidance systems can accommodate for a trailer brake, either.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

No no Redd those Germans have figured out how to intervene in the hydraulics using feedback from the cruise control.Mine certainly applies braking, sometimes aggressively.I haven't yet determined if the brake lights are also activated,but I can't say I've invested a great deal of time in checking, I have complete faith in the German engineers !
Old 08-27-2017, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I suppose it could easily be the ABS system, since that's electrically controlled and it can trigger the brake on any wheel.

I've never noticed my (standard dumb) cruise control using it, but then again, I haven't used cc in the mountains and on the highway the biggest "downhill" has usually been over the hump of a long bridge or "seven mile hill" type stretch.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Our 2011 Q5 applies the brakes and brake lights as does our 2016 A3. Our 2008 A4 did not. There is no VCDS way to toggle this functionality off. It gives me something to do on a boring drive to save my brakes and fuel toggling the cruise off and on. Welcome to the future, seems like the first step to autonomous driving.