Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Trailor Hitch - Installed and it looks great!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I'll find out next Thursday. They will have it to replace the amp (B&O system).
Old 08-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fonseca_Q5
The hitch looks good.

I still think that it is crazy to have to go through that much work to dismantle and cut into a brand new car to install a trailer hitch. And the cost is completely outrageous. Audi should have made the trailer hitch a standard option on the Q5. It would have made more sense to install them before installing the bumper and then they could have designed the bumper differently. I want a trailer hitch as well but refuse to pay that kind of money or tear up my new car.
I agree with you. I installed the Curt Hitch for $200. http://www.thehitchstore.com/class-i...ch-p-2112.html

I did not have to remove the bumper or cut the bumper.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTR2002:

Do you have pics of your install including electrical.

I only need a hitch to trailer 1-2 motorbikes on a very light trailer (which actually disassembles and fits in the trunk). While I understand that the OEM ECU+hitch includes connections for trailer brakes and what not, I think I would only miss the revised transmission/shifting that supposed to come with the OEM ECU.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by edwyun
TTR2002:

Do you have pics of your install including electrical.

I only need a hitch to trailer 1-2 motorbikes on a very light trailer (which actually disassembles and fits in the trunk). While I understand that the OEM ECU+hitch includes connections for trailer brakes and what not, I think I would only miss the revised transmission/shifting that supposed to come with the OEM ECU.
I did not take any pictures during the installation. Curt Inc can provide those. The hitch hangs just below the bumper and the bumper did not need to be cut. The install is not easy. The hard part was fishing the bolts in the frame. I had to modify 2 carriage bolts to fit the frame. I did not hook up a wire harness yet. I am still researching what is out there on the net.
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow thanks ttr2002....looks like the way I'll be going.No cut bumper for me or high price tag!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

THANKS ttr2002, after looking at the site, reading the installation instructions and considering the price, I have orderd one too. I may have it professionally installed at a shop, but still saving $$$ compared to the Audi product and NO CUTTING required!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrV
THANKS ttr2002, after looking at the site, reading the installation instructions and considering the price, I have orderd one too. I may have it professionally installed at a shop, but still saving $$$ compared to the Audi product and NO CUTTING required!
I installed it myself and took about 4 hours because I had to lower and remove that back half of the exhaust.

You will need a half inch drill bit and drill, a grinder, and a cut off wheel to cut a nice square hole (I used my dremmel tool with a reinforced cut off wheel)

I had to modify the Curt hitch by elongating the aft horns holes and rounding off the corners on the aft horn to make it easier to fit.

I cut a 1 inch sq hole on the front part of the Q5 frame rail to fish in the carriage bolt and sq plate. I will warn you. You will need to grind the middle carriage bolts on the head to a width of 3/4 inch to have it fit in the aluminum bumper sq channel (same for the metal plate. If you like I can email you photos or even call you. This will save you or your shop hours of trying to fish the bolt in the middle frame.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ttr2002
I installed it myself and took about 4 hours because I had to lower and remove that back half of the exhaust.

You will need a half inch drill bit and drill, a grinder, and a cut off wheel to cut a nice square hole (I used my dremmel tool with a reinforced cut off wheel)

I had to modify the Curt hitch by elongating the aft horns holes and rounding off the corners on the aft horn to make it easier to fit.

I cut a 1 inch sq hole on the front part of the Q5 frame rail to fish in the carriage bolt and sq plate. I will warn you. You will need to grind the middle carriage bolts on the head to a width of 3/4 inch to have it fit in the aluminum bumper sq channel (same for the metal plate. If you like I can email you photos or even call you. This will save you or your shop hours of trying to fish the bolt in the middle frame.
So what is your all-in cost of the Curt hitch? It sounds like the labor is the same: 4.5 hours for factory, 4 hours for Curt. $200 for the hitch + wiring pigtail + wiring module.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hungs too low for me and anyways, I rather cut the plastic bumper than any steel or alu part of car....

My hitch is waiting at dealer and will pick it up and install it next weekend
Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MCNIERNEYC
So what is your all-in cost of the Curt hitch? It sounds like the labor is the same: 4.5 hours for factory, 4 hours for Curt. $200 for the hitch + wiring pigtail + wiring module.
Well my labor was free. I would bet a shop could install in 2-3 hrs at a normal rate of $50/hr. The Audi dealer rate is $105/hr. I did not need any extra parts for the curt hitch. I will consider the Audi control tail light box when my dealer gets me the information. I think both hitches are good, for me I just wanted the hitch for my bike rack and $200 was a good value for me.

Quick Reply: Q5 Trailor Hitch - Installed and it looks great!