Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 V6 reliability per Consumer Reports

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 V6 reliability per Consumer Reports

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...es-compare.htm

Consumer Reports just released the data on car reliability.

Bad news... Audi was ranked 3rd from the last amongst manufacturers. The Q5 V6 version is ranked the worst amongst all models surveyed based on the chart above.

Did I read that correctly?
Old 10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dig into the numbers a little, you'll see that CR's review and subsequent scoring was for the V6. No mention of the 2.0t, other than that it exists. According to their charts, the Q5 is the top rated Compact Sporty SUV and the primary blemish on its record is the well-documented and now sorted water pump issue, which shows as the dreaded solid black circle under "Engine Cooling" for 2009 model only. 2010s rate above average for the cooling system. The most telling number in my mind is the owner satisfaction score, which is tops among all compact sporty SUVs. Higher than the X3, the SRX and the RDX.

I always take CR car reviews with a grain of salt. Read their road tests and you quickly find that what's important to them is usually not what's important to me, and I would think to most enthusiasts, as well. I tend to think their testers look at cars the same way they look at a washing machine or a vacuum cleaner. And I think they believe that people are idiots and can't take five minutes to learn how to operate their cars. While their reviews have some value, I certainly don't base buying decisions on whether or not it's CR Recommended.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heresy64
If you dig into the numbers a little, you'll see that CR's review and subsequent scoring was for the V6. No mention of the 2.0t, other than that it exists. According to their charts, the Q5 is the top rated Compact Sporty SUV and the primary blemish on its record is the well-documented and now sorted water pump issue, which shows as the dreaded solid black circle under "Engine Cooling" for 2009 model only. 2010s rate above average for the cooling system. The most telling number in my mind is the owner satisfaction score, which is tops among all compact sporty SUVs. Higher than the X3, the SRX and the RDX.

I always take CR car reviews with a grain of salt. Read their road tests and you quickly find that what's important to them is usually not what's important to me, and I would think to most enthusiasts, as well. I tend to think their testers look at cars the same way they look at a washing machine or a vacuum cleaner. And I think they believe that people are idiots and can't take five minutes to learn how to operate their cars. While their reviews have some value, I certainly don't base buying decisions on whether or not it's CR Recommended.
+1! That why I don't renew my subscription to CR after 1 st year.
and, BTW OP - you link is not working!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

True Delta has the Q5 doing very well for 2011

http://www.truedelta.com
Old 10-26-2011, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by opus360
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...es-compare.htm

Consumer Reports just released the data on car reliability.

Bad news... Audi was ranked 3rd from the last amongst manufacturers. The Q5 V6 version is ranked the worst amongst all models surveyed based on the chart above.

Did I read that correctly?
Which brands ranked second to last and last, opus360? I am guessing Jaguar and Chrysler tied for second from last and Land Rover and BMW tied for last.