Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Water Pump

Old 06-25-2010, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q5 Water Pump

Just a quick note to recommend you keep a close eye on your water pump and coolant level. Our pump failed yesterday and dumped the coolant - car is a 2010 3.0TDI with about 6,000km on the clock.

Other posters on this forum (and some others) have had a similar experience so be on the look out and if you ever get the coolant warning come up in the DIS then stop immeadiately and call Audi for assistance.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

That's a bummer. Sounds like you are dead in your tracks until the calvary arrives. I guess even carrying a gallon of antifreeze won't do much good either. I am assuming that there really isn't any warning (assuming you don't have coolant leaking out slowly and notice it when you are parked)other than the warning light and by then it's too late?
Or do you see a very slow rise in engine temperature on the gauge?

Bob
Old 06-26-2010, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

You are correct. There is basically no warning and it happens all in one go. Once the seal starts leaking, all the coolant just gets pumped out at a great rate. Once it's happened, trying to put coolant back in doesn't help - it just poors straight out again.

If you are lucky, you might notice a pool develop under the front of the car but I wouldn't rely on it. This is the third car I've owned that has experienced a water pump failure (all the others managed to cover a bit more than 6,000km however - more like 250,000+kms) and none of them, including the latest, have ever given any indication of impending failure.

I'm pleased to report however that the Q is all fixed now and seems to not be suffering any ill effects - only time will tell though.

Audi Australia were extremely helpful in getting it all resolved and the car back to us in quick time.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 3.2 water pump problems

8,200 miles on my Q5 and the water pump went. Notice a coolant smell for a couple of days when doing errands and parking. Then the "turn off engine, check coolant level" light came on. I saw the fluid was below minimun line and filled up. Mechanic saw fluid coming from out of front of water pump. Called AUDI, they towed it in and replaced. Apparently impeller problems on these pumps, possibly the plastic versus metal issue again. Hopefully they gave me the metal impeller pump this time so it does not happen again.

Originally Posted by bob m
That's a bummer. Sounds like you are dead in your tracks until the calvary arrives. I guess even carrying a gallon of antifreeze won't do much good either. I am assuming that there really isn't any warning (assuming you don't have coolant leaking out slowly and notice it when you are parked)other than the warning light and by then it's too late?
Or do you see a very slow rise in engine temperature on the gauge?

Bob
Old 08-09-2010, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kchampag
8,200 miles on my Q5 and the water pump went. Notice a coolant smell for a couple of days when doing errands and parking. Then the "turn off engine, check coolant level" light came on. I saw the fluid was below minimun line and filled up. Mechanic saw fluid coming from out of front of water pump. Called AUDI, they towed it in and replaced. Apparently impeller problems on these pumps, possibly the plastic versus metal issue again. Hopefully they gave me the metal impeller pump this time so it does not happen again.
Yep, mine went as well on the weekend, which I posted on another thread. 14000km - pretty much the same mileage as yours there! Its now at the dealer, awaiting further diagnosis, because I experience a loss of steering power assist prior to the same warning came on - "Turn off Engine - Check Coolant Level". Very weird huh!?

Guess what! Service advisor just called - its going to be ready tomorrow. Pump with metal impeller replaced. Steering issue they say must be due to slipping belt from leaking coolant - exactly as billypete has alluded to on the other thread - tks billy.

Hope there's no more further towing or flatbedding of this brand new vehicle from my neighborhood - pretty embarrassing with neighbors milling around asking what is wrong with something so new!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost 13000.00 Km here never had problem

BCD-1
Old 08-09-2010, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 138 Likes on 93 Posts

That's alot of Q's with same issue, I wonder if they changed the pump for MY11. Anyone had an issue in a warm weather climate?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Back on the Road!

Picked up my Blu-babeQ this afternoon.
When asked, Service Advisor assured me that they've replaced it with a metal 'impellered' pump!

They've also removed and cleaned the serpentine belt and tested the power steering system to make sure it was the coolant that coated it during the failure.

All good now - hoping nothing serious from here on....

Had a nicely optioned A3 for 2 days as a loaner - very responsive 2.0T engine - am impressed!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Reminds me of the Ford Contour that had the same problem: water pump with plastic impeller. I preemptively had mine replaced at around 80,000 miles just to be safe. I remember I had to wait a while for the part because it was made in Germany. I wonder if Audi and the other German companies get this part from the same supplier...?
Old 08-12-2010, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Picked up my Blu-babeQ this afternoon.
When asked, Service Advisor assured me that they've replaced it with a metal 'impellered' pump!

They've also removed and cleaned the serpentine belt and tested the power steering system to make sure it was the coolant that coated it during the failure.

All good now - hoping nothing serious from here on....

Had a nicely optioned A3 for 2 days as a loaner - very responsive 2.0T engine - am impressed!
Hmmn, I have an 09, never had a problem with the pump, but wonder if I should ask if they can change it to a pump with the metal impeller?

Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Q5 Water Pump