Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump died

My water pump just died tonight... Anyway it pretty much look like it. I was in a parking lot going reverse when I noticed that the steering was really hard. Back at home (less than 2 km) I opened the hood to see what could be wrong and I saw some lovely pink juice all over the place. I almost cried... When pressing on a hose, I could hear air coming from the bottom of the engine. Every symptoms are pointing to the water pump.

I only have 15000Km and I got my car in March 2010. It was build in January but probably got an engine built earlier with the infamous plastic water pump. Tomorrow it's labor day so the dealer will be closed. I will call audi's road assist to get towed on Tuesday. Even if the dealer is only 5 min from home, I don't want to take any chance damaging the engine.

I just hope they will fix it quiclky.

M.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hope they fix it for you quickly.

I am surprised Audi did not recall all Q5s and other models with plastic water pumps?!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by the-oneil
I hope they fix it for you quickly.

I am surprised Audi did not recall all Q5s and other models with plastic water pumps?!
Got my Q back this morning.

They kept it an extra day to "investigate" the wheel vibration at low speed (see other thread). In the end they replaced the defective water pump with a new all metal one, and they will replace one of my power steering hose once they receive it.

For those of you who never used Audi's 24 road assist service, I can say they provide a good service. The tow truck arrived an hour after I called them (i mentioned that I was home, so my life was not in danger) but the nice this is that I had no paper work to fill in. They even informed my dealer about my situation and a car was ready for me when I arrived over there. In all, I stayed at my dealer no more than 15 min.

M.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Got my Q back this morning.

They kept it an extra day to "investigate" the wheel vibration at low speed (see other thread). In the end they replaced the defective water pump with a new all metal one, and they will replace one of my power steering hose once they receive it.

For those of you who never used Audi's 24 road assist service, I can say they provide a good service. The tow truck arrived an hour after I called them (i mentioned that I was home, so my life was not in danger) but the nice this is that I had no paper work to fill in. They even informed my dealer about my situation and a car was ready for me when I arrived over there. In all, I stayed at my dealer no more than 15 min.

M.
Thanks for the posting. I hope the new cars have the metal impeller. Mine is on the boat.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Close to 10 months and under 11 000km. The Q5 encounter it's first real issue. Coolant leak. A huge leak somewhere coming from the right side of the engine bay. Top off the reservoir and watch the coolant level go down real fast. Look underneath and notice the rain fall. Gonna call the dealer on Monday, oh hum...

Did some research and it maybe the water pump.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

My 2010 Q5 (8K miles) busted a coolant leak today while on the road. Waited for Audi Roadside Assistance (1hr) and was towed to an Audi Dealership. I was explaining my situation to the service consultant when she indicated that its the water pump. I was back on the road after 4hrs.

This seems to be a bigger issue across the board with Q5s and Q7s. Audi should contact the owners and make them aware of the problem.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by NYCTaxiMan
My 2010 Q5 (8K miles) busted a coolant leak today while on the road. Waited for Audi Roadside Assistance (1hr) and was towed to an Audi Dealership. I was explaining my situation to the service consultant when she indicated that its the water pump. I was back on the road after 4hrs.

This seems to be a bigger issue across the board with Q5s and Q7s. Audi should contact the owners and make them aware of the problem.
4 hours! That's incredible service from Audi.

I agree that Audi should be "preemtive" here. Most of us won't be so lucky to be back on the road in 48 hours. I am going in this week or next for my 15 K service and I will mention it to them; but am thinking they won't change until broken.

Bob
Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m

I agree that Audi should be "preemtive" here. Most of us won't be so lucky to be back on the road in 48 hours. I am going in this week or next for my 15 K service and I will mention it to them; but am thinking they won't change until broken.

Bob
I was very lucky with the towing and the repair at the dealership. The service consultant mentioned that there was a bullentin on this issue and she knew immediately of my problem after I told her of the symptoms. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bob m

Bob
BTW - The dealership was Town Motors in Englewood, NJ. Great service!
Old 09-20-2010, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Manage to bring it in today. Whole bunch of Q5 were there for a water pump recall.

Quick Reply: Q5 Water Pump