Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 water pump recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 water pump recall

I just received a recall notice for coolant pump replacement for my 2010. Service Action Campaign 19H1/F1. Audi also extended powertrain warranty to 5 years or 100,000 miles.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also received the letter today.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received my letter today, too.
I think it's great that Audi is stepping up to handle this.
Curious as to what the "tipping point" might have been, because this has been a known 'defect' for quite a while.
Interesting that the letter also offers complete reimbursement for any owner who's had to replace the waterpump out-of-pocket. I don't imagine there have been too many Q5s past the warranty mileage limit needing a new water pump, but there might be some.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JFA in L.A.
Curious as to what the "tipping point" might have been, because this has been a known 'defect' for quite a while.
I think it's just that there's enough water pumps in stock for them to service everyone affected.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hope Audi Canada will do the same

BCD-1
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is still big fail for Audi. Closing barn door after the horses fled. Winter is over, the plastic pumps have already froze/cracked/failed and stranded people.
I am just hoping that this is the only issue I will have with my Q5. I will know in 6 years.
I still like my Q5, but the image is tarnished. A random part that fails I can deal with, its a car, these things happen. But when there is a known problem, and I try unsuccessfully to get it corrected before that first freezing day, then the magic is gone.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

got mine today too!
Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

I got the letter today too.

The last time I was at the Audi-store for the free oil/filter change I mentioned the power-steering pump-hose-replacement issue. The service advisor said it's no problem to replace under warranty.

Maybe I can get both done at the same visit.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default No help with coolant pump

Originally Posted by fastd1
This is still big fail for Audi. Closing barn door after the horses fled. Winter is over, the plastic pumps have already froze/cracked/failed and stranded people.
I am just hoping that this is the only issue I will have with my Q5. I will know in 6 years.
I still like my Q5, but the image is tarnished. A random part that fails I can deal with, its a car, these things happen. But when there is a known problem, and I try unsuccessfully to get it corrected before that first freezing day, then the magic is gone.
Sorry to say my 2013 q5 coolant pump has died. The red light came on and said "Stop engine immediately and check coolant level." So I did and confirmed pump died, gone ,no fluid in system. Had to replenish coolant prior to resume drive to dealership in Naples. They wanted 1200 USD to replace coolant pump, only 41,000 miles. 2 weeks later I get the recall letter in mail. Omg did I blow a gasket, the reason I bought the fu*king car new is so I wouldn't have these problems, should have bought a Ford f 150, no problems there. I'm screwed and so pissed I could just **^÷?×#$@¥*&_^ ****.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

It seems that MY 2009-2011, are not affected. Does new technology always has problems????. When 2009 Q5 TFSi first appeared it came with following problems:
1. Cut off valve was revised due to turbo lag at some point due to rupture of rubber/silicone parts
2. Steering hose was revised due to shudder at low speed for 1N3
3. Fuel consumption pistons conrods and PCV were revised
4. S-tronic Transmission in-line filter and pipeline was revised
5. I have heard stories of timing chain 2 tensioners
6. Some noise from the AWD shaft when acceleration pedal is depresssed at high speed.
7. Led control module revision due to bad initial design.
8. Valve body had problem with gear changes and was revised.

My question is what is the difference between the electronic pump found in later Q5s with non affected 2009-2011 Q5s and why our pump (pre-facelift) does not need a firmware update in case it overheats or stops working.???

I still believe that the revised part numbers are top quality, and have corrected all issues, so it is good when manufacturers strive for perfection and customer care.

I still believe that it is good when clients are proactive, by getting informed and if necessary getting revised part numbers before a part failure occurs, if this will influence the reliability or longevity life of turbo cars.

So I am concerned regarding this pump issue, even if I have a Q5 2009, even if the possibility of happening is remote. Is there a firmware update (TPI or SVM code) for our cars even if it is not a recall, and is considered just an improvement for prevention purposes??

(See the Ford Kuga/Escape 1.6 turbo coolant / engine fire problem with Stage 1 and Stage 2 Worldwide recall)
Attached Images  

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-31-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Q5 water pump recall