Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about lowering with Adaptive Dampening Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about lowering with Adaptive Dampening Suspension

I'm awaiting delivery of a MY14 Q5 TDI with S-line. One thing I'm worried about is the wheel gap so I'm likely to explore lowering the vehicle. Since this is my first Audi, I'm not at all familiar with Audi's adaptive dampening suspension technology.

What aftermarket technologies for lowering are compatible with Audi's ADS system? What kind of drop are you guys seeing with those products?

I'm not looking to slam it, just make it look more symmetric with the S-line 20" wheels. I live in Florida, drive mostly on highways and rarely travel north to winter wonder-pothole-land.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm not sure that there are aftermarket technologies for lowering are compatible with Audi's ADS system.
For your information one shock absorber for the ADS system costs over 800 EUR, approximately $ 1,100 (4x1100$ + installation)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
I'm not sure that there are aftermarket technologies for lowering are compatible with Audi's ADS system.
For your information one shock absorber for the ADS system costs over 800 EUR, approximately $ 1,100 (4x1100$ + installation)
Sounds like he's not looking for ADS retrofit, but wants to slightly lower his ADS equipped car, so no need to buy dampers.

OP: Lowering is possible with springs but can't be too aggressive, because the lower you go, the more it will change the control region of the damper. I've seen some folks who lowered their ADS equipped S4's using KW adjustable springs (KW claims to be ADS compatible), however the ADS functionality will be altered and will no longer function in the same range, so there will be less difference between comfort and dynamic modes. Another option would be to remove the ADS suspension completely and replace it with coilovers.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by koobah
Sounds like he's not looking for ADS retrofit, but wants to slightly lower his ADS equipped car, so no need to buy dampers.

OP: Lowering is possible with springs but can't be too aggressive, because the lower you go, the more it will change the control region of the damper. I've seen some folks who lowered their ADS equipped S4's using KW adjustable springs (KW claims to be ADS compatible), however the ADS functionality will be altered and will no longer function in the same range, so there will be less difference between comfort and dynamic modes. Another option would be to remove the ADS suspension completely and replace it with coilovers.
If you think it's so easy to remove the ADS system, what about the processor and the data in the same, what's with other settings ????
Complicated and expensive and only feasible in the Audi dealer,
Old 08-27-2013, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
If you think it's so easy to remove the ADS system, what about the processor and the data in the same, what's with other settings ????
Complicated and expensive and only feasible in the Audi dealer,
You disable the ADS suspension sensor via VAG-COM. Any Audi shop and many forum members have the device and it's a very easy procedure. Alternatively, KW sells a cancellation device, though a more costly approach than VAG-COM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You disable the ADS suspension sensor via VAG-COM. Any Audi shop and many forum members have the device and it's a very easy procedure. Alternatively, KW sells a cancellation device, though a more costly approach than VAG-COM.
If you think that it comes only one sensor ok
I have VCDS (vag-com), VAS and ....
Good luck
Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Who said it comes with one sensor? All I'm saying is that people who installed coils have successfully disabled the suspension sensors via VAG-COM or with KW cancellation device:
Amazon.com: KW 68510212 Electronic Damping Cancellation Kit for Audi Q5: Automotive Amazon.com: KW 68510212 Electronic Damping Cancellation Kit for Audi Q5: Automotive
. That said, it's a waste of money no matter how you slice it. From the extra upfront cost of ADS, to coilover or lowering spring parts and installation, it's much better to not opt for ADS in the first place.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amstrad
I'm awaiting delivery of a MY14 Q5 TDI with S-line. One thing I'm worried about is the wheel gap so I'm likely to explore lowering the vehicle. Since this is my first Audi, I'm not at all familiar with Audi's adaptive dampening suspension technology.
The ADS system is just the shocks, and uses conventional springs. My Q5 is equipped with ADS, and I have the STaSIS suspension, which simply replaces the springs, keeping the stock adaptive shocks. ADS remains fully functional. The resulting height is quite similar to the SQ5 TDI told in Europe and elsewhere, and to me, it looks perfect with 20" wheels.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Correct. I'm just looking to lower the vehicle without affecting the ADS functionality too much.

Originally Posted by Wunsch
The ADS system is just the shocks, and uses conventional springs. My Q5 is equipped with ADS, and I have the STaSIS suspension, which simply replaces the springs, keeping the stock adaptive shocks. ADS remains fully functional. The resulting height is quite similar to the SQ5 TDI told in Europe and elsewhere, and to me, it looks perfect with 20" wheels.
So that's a +1 on STaSIS. I assume this is the product:
http://www.stasisengineering.com/pro...g-rear-swaybar
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's the one. The dealer installed it before I even took delivery.

Quick Reply: Question about lowering with Adaptive Dampening Suspension