Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Question about rubbing noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by David&Niki
May i ask you at what mileage you've got wheel bearing issue ?
Did you off-road a lot ?
my passenger rear side was done at 10,000 miles. Nope Boston doesnt really have any off-road trails for us to drive in. It is mainly potholes but i always avoid pot holes since i came from driving a honda that is 4inch off the ground. so i dont think it was caused by pot holes. The dealer said they were defective and replaced it under warranty
Old 07-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
my passenger rear side was done at 10,000 miles. Nope Boston doesnt really have any off-road trails for us to drive in. It is mainly potholes but i always avoid pot holes since i came from driving a honda that is 4inch off the ground. so i dont think it was caused by pot holes. The dealer said they were defective and replaced it under warranty
haha... I can guarantee ONE thing, Montreal has the worst road surface condition in North American cities... i'm 120% sure Montreal beats Boston on that issue.
I used to drive a Nissan Murano and i've changed both wheel bearing right&left in 4 years period. Plus two times ball joint, one time the supporting arm in between. However, for Audi i'm not sure at 10,000miles you need a replacement of wheel bearing. IF it is defective then that's the reason. I mean pothole is A killer but not for Audi i believe. I've heard pothole is very dangerous for people who have bigger wheel like 20"... the tire is thinner so the wheels have more risk to get damaged. For wheel bearings especially the rear one...hum ? I'm not sure about that.
So after the replacement of your wheel bearing from the dealer, did you ask for another warranty on this particular part? (usually the part is 2 years or 20,000km whichever comes first).
Thank you
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

haha... I can guarantee ONE thing, Montreal has the worst road surface condition in North American cities... i'm 120% sure Montreal beats Boston on that issue.
I used to drive a Nissan Murano and i've changed both wheel bearing right&left in 4 years period. Plus two times ball joint, one time the supporting arm in between. However, for Audi i'm not sure at 10,000miles you need a replacement of wheel bearing. IF it is defective then that's the reason. I mean pothole is A killer but not for Audi i believe. I've heard pothole is very dangerous for people who have bigger wheel like 20"... the tire is thinner so the wheels have more risk to get damaged. For wheel bearings especially the rear one...hum ? I'm not sure about that.
So after the replacement of your wheel bearing from the dealer, did you ask for another warranty on this particular part? (usually the part is 2 years or 20,000km whichever comes first).
Thank you
im sure Montreal has some bad roads like Toronto. worse roads ever! luckily my bearings were defective. they gave me warranty on the new bearings. regardless of rim size. if the wheels comes with low profile. The impact on potholes are damaging results i was running 18x8 on low profile. I bent a OEM rim and bubbled the side walls on the tires and bent the top hat of the suspension. Potholes does alot of damage to a car if the car is constantly hitting them. it throws your alignment off as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
im sure Montreal has some bad roads like Toronto. worse roads ever! luckily my bearings were defective. they gave me warranty on the new bearings. regardless of rim size. if the wheels comes with low profile. The impact on potholes are damaging results i was running 18x8 on low profile. I bent a OEM rim and bubbled the side walls on the tires and bent the top hat of the suspension. Potholes does alot of damage to a car if the car is constantly hitting them. it throws your alignment off as well.
What you wrote here is exactly what happened to my Murano. I fixed wheel bearing,ball joint, arms... mainly because of the pothole. In Montreal you can't avoid every pothole unless you want cause a traffic accident...LOL The mechanic of my murano told me they've fixed a lot of bearing problems when season gets changed...here in MTL~~ I actually did one time alignment tuneup last year with Murano if the alignment is off those tires consume much more faster...that could cost me 1000$ very easily for a set of four 18" tires. Now my Q5 has 19"wheel as i added S-Line package... I won't that trouble again, good lord...
You said " I was running 18X8 on low profile". i wasn't fully understood that, i know 18 is 18" but times 8 means ?
Thank you,
Old 07-11-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, there.
i mentioned your case when i met Audi tech today. The tech said it could be the sound bounce off the wall as the garage usually is a narrow space. Consequently, you could hear some kind of noise in such a short time. He believed the noise would be a combination of engine&transmission plus the break medal together as the metal does deliver sound very quickly... For me i would like to agree what he said because i couldn't find any other evidence about the noise.
Would you buy that ?
Thank you
Not really As its there in open spaces like in my gated community road

My sound is kind of like wheel hits something in every rotation and there is an interval between the sounds and it gets narrow based on the speed. So I am convinced its hitting something and I am waiting for that "axle bush" to get polished. ... I don't think I have any other option now !!
Old 07-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anilx783
Not really As its there in open spaces like in my gated community road

My sound is kind of like wheel hits something in every rotation and there is an interval between the sounds and it gets narrow based on the speed. So I am convinced its hitting something and I am waiting for that "axle bush" to get polished. ... I don't think I have any other option now !!
what is your mileage though right now ? mine is exactly 4200km, two months old. i hear the noise when i drive through tunnels or highway connector road with cement wall on both sides.
When i left the dealership today i did question myself if i was too sensitive towards that sound ?
anyways, good luck
Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You said " I was running 18X8 on low profile". i wasn't fully understood that, i know 18 is 18" but times 8 means ?
Thank you,
18x8 = 18" diameter (which you knew), 8" width. Pronounced "18 by 8".
Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What you wrote here is exactly what happened to my Murano. I fixed wheel bearing,ball joint, arms... mainly because of the pothole. In Montreal you can't avoid every pothole unless you want cause a traffic accident...LOL The mechanic of my murano told me they've fixed a lot of bearing problems when season gets changed...here in MTL~~ I actually did one time alignment tuneup last year with Murano if the alignment is off those tires consume much more faster...that could cost me 1000$ very easily for a set of four 18" tires. Now my Q5 has 19"wheel as i added S-Line package... I won't that trouble again, good lord...
Thank you,
avoid potholes as much as possible regardless if its a Q5. its much worse for us AWD. only if roads knew how to repair itself lol im just day dreaming.

18 size x 8 width of the rim
Old 07-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

LOL, now i know what's mean of 18x8... here in MTL i call it P235 55 R 19 for the size of tires... wikipedia really tells me what is that... thank you~~
for potholes, i hope city of MTL could do something but looks like it is not very possible.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

what is your mileage though right now ? mine is exactly 4200km, two months old. i hear the noise when i drive through tunnels or highway connector road with cement wall on both sides.
When i left the dealership today i did question myself if i was too sensitive towards that sound ?
anyways, good luck
I agree.. I also asked that question myself. you know we all take care of our car like a baby so cant help it Mine is now 620 miles 3 weeks old.

Quick Reply: Question about rubbing noise