Question on SQ5 21" tires - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question on SQ5 21" tires

 
Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 AM
  #1  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
yocubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 24
Default Question on SQ5 21" tires

Hey guys,

So it's getting time to replace the stock Pirelli's on the wife's SQ5. Of course we have the 21" wheel option. I know these threads have been beaten to death but I searched and could not find an answer to my particular question.
Will the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 265/40/21 size fit on the stock 21 wheels without rub? (has anyone actually run this setup?)
I know that some have done 265/40 in other brands and I've read reviews with mention on needing spacers and some that cleared without.
My concern is that the Pilot 4S is generally a wide tire (at least it is significantly wider compared the stock Continentals on my M3 in identical sizes), this has me worried I might encounter some rub.
I'm between the Pilot 4S in 365/40 or just getting another set of the PZero PZ4s in the stock 255/40 size
Any input would be welcome.

Thanks
yocubed is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM
  #2  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
shokhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 712
Default

I like from what I've read the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
shokhead is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM
  #3  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 46
Default

Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Hey guys,

So it's getting time to replace the stock Pirelli's on the wife's SQ5. Of course we have the 21" wheel option. I know these threads have been beaten to death but I searched and could not find an answer to my particular question.
Will the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 265/40/21 size fit on the stock 21 wheels without rub? (has anyone actually run this setup?)
I know that some have done 265/40 in other brands and I've read reviews with mention on needing spacers and some that cleared without.
My concern is that the Pilot 4S is generally a wide tire (at least it is significantly wider compared the stock Continentals on my M3 in identical sizes), this has me worried I might encounter some rub.
I'm between the Pilot 4S in 365/40 or just getting another set of the PZero PZ4s in the stock 255/40 size
Any input would be welcome.

Thanks
Atturo Az850 in 265/40/21.. Good tire. Great price. No rub. Good life. https://atturo.com/az850/
BillVT is offline  
Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 PM
  #4  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 25
Default Made the exact switch ~8 months ago


Example of PS4 on 21" '16 SQ5
Had same concerns as you. Went ahead with purchase and no interference and a better driving experience.
sarchib is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 07:49 AM
  #5  
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
yocubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by sarchib View Post

Example of PS4 on 21" '16 SQ5
Had same concerns as you. Went ahead with purchase and no interference and a better driving experience.
Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'm going Michelin.
yocubed is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM
  #6  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
MurrayA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Quebec Canada
Posts: 1,230
Default

yocubed just to let you know, I'm jealous.That Bimmer looks like a cool ride.Hopefully you've got some terrain where you can take her for a rip.
MurrayA4 is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 AM
  #7  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
choppstixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Default

While I love the 4S, putting them on a SUV this heavy will just have you burning through em in 15-20k miles (maybe less). If you like Michelin, I'd look at something like the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. But if you don't really care about tire longevity, the 4S' are great tires. I just think a lot of people forget that all tires are not necessarily meant to be used on every automobile platform. Some will wear faster due to power/weight than others, I personally went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ for my A/S setup and then a set of Michelin Latitude Sports for my summer 20" wheels.
choppstixxx is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 AM
  #8  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
shokhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 712
Default

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a All Season and not everybody wants an all season.
shokhead is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 AM
  #9  
Audiworld Junior Member
 
choppstixxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 40
Default

Originally Posted by shokhead View Post
Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a All Season and not everybody wants an all season.
It has some of the best dry/wet performance from an A/S out of all the manufacturers. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but were talking about putting an ultra high performance summer tire on a SUV. This isn't a rear wheel drive two seater, how many times will his wife really be pushing the SUV where she would need a tire like the 4S? I mean if he likes throwing away money by all means do so. I just think there are plenty of other options that cost less and will accomplish the same result.
choppstixxx is offline  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM
  #10  
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
shokhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SoCal
Posts: 712
Default

I won't be fooled again by wet/dry all season tires. They can do both ok but neither great so I stay with summer tires but I can understand depending on where one lives for all season. I'm just not one of them.
shokhead is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on SQ5 21" tires


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: