Question on SQ5 21" tires - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question on SQ5 21" tires

Old 02-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Question on SQ5 21" tires

Hey guys,

So it's getting time to replace the stock Pirelli's on the wife's SQ5. Of course we have the 21" wheel option. I know these threads have been beaten to death but I searched and could not find an answer to my particular question.
Will the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 265/40/21 size fit on the stock 21 wheels without rub? (has anyone actually run this setup?)
I know that some have done 265/40 in other brands and I've read reviews with mention on needing spacers and some that cleared without.
My concern is that the Pilot 4S is generally a wide tire (at least it is significantly wider compared the stock Continentals on my M3 in identical sizes), this has me worried I might encounter some rub.
I'm between the Pilot 4S in 365/40 or just getting another set of the PZero PZ4s in the stock 255/40 size
Any input would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I like from what I've read the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Old 02-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yocubed View Post
Hey guys,

So it's getting time to replace the stock Pirelli's on the wife's SQ5. Of course we have the 21" wheel option. I know these threads have been beaten to death but I searched and could not find an answer to my particular question.
Will the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 265/40/21 size fit on the stock 21 wheels without rub? (has anyone actually run this setup?)
I know that some have done 265/40 in other brands and I've read reviews with mention on needing spacers and some that cleared without.
My concern is that the Pilot 4S is generally a wide tire (at least it is significantly wider compared the stock Continentals on my M3 in identical sizes), this has me worried I might encounter some rub.
I'm between the Pilot 4S in 365/40 or just getting another set of the PZero PZ4s in the stock 255/40 size
Any input would be welcome.

Thanks
Atturo Az850 in 265/40/21.. Good tire. Great price. No rub. Good life. https://atturo.com/az850/
Old 02-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Made the exact switch ~8 months ago

Example of PS4 on 21" '16 SQ5
Had same concerns as you. Went ahead with purchase and no interference and a better driving experience.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sarchib View Post

Example of PS4 on 21" '16 SQ5
Had same concerns as you. Went ahead with purchase and no interference and a better driving experience.
Excellent. Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like I'm going Michelin.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yocubed just to let you know, I'm jealous.That Bimmer looks like a cool ride.Hopefully you've got some terrain where you can take her for a rip.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

While I love the 4S, putting them on a SUV this heavy will just have you burning through em in 15-20k miles (maybe less). If you like Michelin, I'd look at something like the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. But if you don't really care about tire longevity, the 4S' are great tires. I just think a lot of people forget that all tires are not necessarily meant to be used on every automobile platform. Some will wear faster due to power/weight than others, I personally went with Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S+ for my A/S setup and then a set of Michelin Latitude Sports for my summer 20" wheels.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a All Season and not everybody wants an all season.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by shokhead View Post
Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is a All Season and not everybody wants an all season.
It has some of the best dry/wet performance from an A/S out of all the manufacturers. I don't mean to sound like an a-hole, but were talking about putting an ultra high performance summer tire on a SUV. This isn't a rear wheel drive two seater, how many times will his wife really be pushing the SUV where she would need a tire like the 4S? I mean if he likes throwing away money by all means do so. I just think there are plenty of other options that cost less and will accomplish the same result.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I won't be fooled again by wet/dry all season tires. They can do both ok but neither great so I stay with summer tires but I can understand depending on where one lives for all season. I'm just not one of them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on SQ5 21" tires

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: