Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Questions/Issues with my 2013 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dougnash
Unfortunately, Audi is not alone in the car world, when it comes to deactivating 12v power when the ignition is off. Must be some lunatic safety precaution, to avoid leaving something plugged in which could sap the battery. Dumb.

You know what else is even more ridiculous? The blasted Home Link buttons to open and close a garage ALSO go dead when the ignition is off. Now THAT is stupid.
Let me paint a picture:
Your car is sitting in your driveway for any particular reason. Perhaps you are doing a project or for whatever reason you aren't using the garage. Anyone can break into your car, hit the homelink button and enter your garage. Many people leave the house unlocked. This protects you.

My beefs:
I can't get out of the car to get the mail without it shutting off. I can't open the door with it running without activating this awful beeping tone. I tried to back the car up with the door open so I can see where the back wheel was in relation to an obstacle and the parking brake went on.

Clearly cupholders don't matter in Europe. The armrest is in the way of them if I adjust it forward.

I think the electric steering seems to make me move the wheel more often than I care to to go straight. I know the brakes aren't nearly as good as they are on my A5. I find myself creeping a little at the same pedal pressure I use on the A5.

OTHERWISE, it's a great car!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I fully understand the logic about someone breaking into the car, then being able to open the garage door. But, it's just not a present concern of mine (and I live in LA) because if someone wants to break into something - anything - they will. To each their own.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You do not need start the engine, only turn on the ignition same as when checking the oil level
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
My beefs:
I can't get out of the car to get the mail without it shutting off. I can't open the door with it running without activating this awful beeping tone. I tried to back the car up with the door open so I can see where the back wheel was in relation to an obstacle and the parking brake went on.
OTHERWISE, it's a great car!
Solution to stopping the engine at the open door VCDS
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...1919&highlight

Central Conv (modul 46) last byte 0F change to 00

For beeping tone: on wiper stalk pressed, the button below: reset or one on the end of the stalk, either up or down (thanks HZ60)
Name:  ScreenShot179-3-1_zps0607b638.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  19.4 KB

Last edited by spijun; 02-13-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Parsec
I use a 12V air compressor to fill my tires with air once a month. I find it annoying that I have to turn on my engine to do this simple maintenance. Is there a 'ACC' option for the key like they do on regular cars (with a traditional key cylinder)?
With advanced key option: push "start" once without pressing the brake.

Without advanced key option: put the key in and push it once without pressing the brake.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Solution to stopping the engine at the open door VCDS

Central Conv (modul 46) last byte 0F change to 00

For beeping tone: on wiper stalk pressed, the button below: reset or one on the end of the stalk, either up or down (thanks HZ60)
I am assuming the first piece of information is the VAG-COM? Is the second comment showing the photo just something to do or is that part of the VAG-Com process too?

I wish the car was here at work to try it.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
I am assuming the first piece of information is the VAG-COM? Is the second comment showing the photo just something to do or is that part of the VAG-Com process too?
I wish the car was here at work to try it.
Temporarily stop beeping tone pressing the on the windscreen wiper lever

Yes, you need a VAG-COM (VCDS) for a permanent solution
Disable "Lights are on" Warning
[09 – Cent. Elect.] [Coding - 07] -> Long Coding Helper -> Byte 5
Bit 3 - Set to 0 to disable "lights are on" warning when you open the door.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dougnash
....You know what else is even more ridiculous? The blasted Home Link buttons to open and close a garage ALSO go dead when the ignition is off. Now THAT is stupid.
Couldn't disagree more. I view this as a very valuable feature. If my car is vandalized on my front street or in my driveway, the thieves can't push the homelink button to gain access to my garage and its contents.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kchao2000
With advanced key option: push "start" once without pressing the brake.

Without advanced key option: put the key in and push it once without pressing the brake.
Exactly! ... And let's not forget these outlets are capable of draining watts relatively quickly. I believe Audi is only asking that someone be around.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked a bit ago. The engine does not need to be running, just the key pressed in (without your foot on the brake).

The red outline lights them up when they're active.

Also as an aside, the USB connectors I posted are very cool, however even as flat as they are, it sticks up just high enough to not let the front tray cover close.

Quick Reply: Questions/Issues with my 2013 Q5