Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Quick wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick wiper question

I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer (though I thought I recall seeing it before), and don't have my manual handy, so hopefully you can help me out.

I was washing my car the other day and wanted to lift the wipers to clean all off the windshield. But they wouldn't life since they are 'below' the hood which blocks them from being lifted.

I know there is a wiper service setting in the MMI, but surely there is a more simple way to lift the wipers.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, its in the car setup menu I believe.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Yes it is via the MMI (wiper "service mode"). I actually find I don't have to MMI-raise them to clean however. I just very carefully raise them the little bit by hand required to get a cloth underneath.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that I am able to pull the blades up by hand to the service position with very little resistance in order to lift them for cleaning.
Once in a while it won't allow me, (I think if the ignition is left on) but generally it works fine and saves the hassle of scrolling through the MMI menus.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everybody. I guess I'll just do it via the MMI as I don't want to risk breaking anything by lifting it manually.

Is this normal on newer/nicer cars? None of my previous cars have ever had this.

Also, to hijack my own thread, this is the type of thing that makes me want to only go to Audi for any service (even as simple as an inspection, oil change, wiper change...) A non-Audi technician would have no idea (I don't think) to go into the MMI settings before changing a wiper blade. I would think they would just start lifting it and end up breaking it.

I could be wrong, and don't want to start another post about where/how to service your car, but seems to me that only Audi would know about the MMI setting.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

It's normal on his car, to aesthetically hide the wiper blades from view when not in use, yet still provide a way to service the blade.

Simple - don't let a non-Audi tech play with your blades, or change them yourself!

Originally Posted by john1r
Thanks everybody. I guess I'll just do it via the MMI as I don't want to risk breaking anything by lifting it manually.

Is this normal on newer/nicer cars? None of my previous cars have ever had this.

Also, to hijack my own thread, this is the type of thing that makes me want to only go to Audi for any service (even as simple as an inspection, oil change, wiper change...) A non-Audi technician would have no idea (I don't think) to go into the MMI settings before changing a wiper blade. I would think they would just start lifting it and end up breaking it.

I could be wrong, and don't want to start another post about where/how to service your car, but seems to me that only Audi would know about the MMI setting.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Couldn't you just turn on the key and wipers and then turn the off the key while the wipes are in the up position on the windshield? On my B7 A4 thats what I do when the wipers need changing. There is no way in the world that would pull on the arms without reason, they might break or something and then it would cost an arm and a leg to replace. Maybe your model is different or something.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think in the owner's manual, it said you can manually raise the wipers into the service position.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, DUH !
That falls under the "why didn't I think of that !"SilverS13 Wins !!!

I agree with you, sometimes we let technology drive us into long processes when the direct approach is best !
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah I guess you are right. My audi only needs new wipers like once a year, the whole car has been great to me. I have been saving up an extra arm and leg to give up so when it needs something big I won't be handicapped.

Quick Reply: Quick wiper question