AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Radio always turns on (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/radio-always-turns-2859252/)

Fred D 01-04-2014 03:22 PM

Radio always turns on

So what am I doing wrong? Every time the car starts the radio turns on, even if I've turned it off previously (muted). This must be a feature I can disable, correct? 2014 Q5 TDI.

Transfer 01-04-2014 03:38 PM

I've asked the same question and have yet to hear a solution. It's a pretty strange issue that I've never had in a car before.

pedser 01-04-2014 04:16 PM

Yeap, looked for days in the manual. No answer.

You would thing that the default is off not on from a start. Actually this may be great as an option in the car menu!

Enjoy,

stash64 01-04-2014 04:36 PM

You know, I just realized this too after several months of ownership... and it does kind of bother me. I always shut off everything off before I shut the car down, including turning the radio volume way down before muting. At least it always comes back on at low volume, but this certainly does not seem to be proper behavior.

Q5 Bob 01-04-2014 04:56 PM

My car isn't here now, but aren't mute and off two separate functions? Press and release for mute and.press and hold for off? Maybe with mute the radio comes back on and if it were off it would remain off.

Q5White13 01-04-2014 07:03 PM

Ask a dealer for turning it off. They can do it, probably.

snagitseven 01-04-2014 07:30 PM

All recent model Audis operate this way and there is no way to change the default that I'm aware of in VCDS or by the dealer. A workaround is to load an empty, formatted SD card in a slot and select it as the source before turning off the car. Result: no audio at next start up. Not ideal but it works.

Edit: This may be a solution for when you want the MMI audio to be on for Nav but not radio, or other media audio sources. Not sure but I believe the other option of pressing the volume button until the radio is off will turn off all sound including the Nav and voice control sound next time the car is started?

Cobalt Rain 01-04-2014 08:02 PM

If I remember correctly:

Press and HOLD the console volume knob for 5 seconds or so to turn off the radio. Then turn off the car.

Can't do it from the steering wheel, must be the console knob.

Can't do it by muting, or by turning the volume all the way down.

p.s. I am only 95% sure of this.... I'm in my jammies and it is REAL cold in the garage! :-)

spijun 01-04-2014 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt Rain (Post 24525830)
If I remember correctly:

Press and HOLD the console volume knob for 5 seconds or so to turn off the radio. Then turn off the car.

Can't do it from the steering wheel, must be the console knob.

Can't do it by muting, or by turning the volume all the way down.

p.s. I am only 95% sure of this.... I'm in my jammies and it is REAL cold in the garage! :-)

+1

I use this way a long time
Maybe does not function on new models ???

stash64 01-05-2014 09:44 AM

The radio does not always turn on with the car. It seems if the car is shut down briefly (not sure exactly how long), the radio does not come on when starting the car. I just filled up today (because of the chilly weather coming) and the radio did not turn back on when I started. I think this makes the behavior all the more puzzling. Why would the radio turn on only after the car has sat for an extended period and not after brief stops ?