Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear left door does not open

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear left door does not open

Hi.

I have a keyless Q5 2009 with a door lock that started to give me problems. Sometimes it was not possible to unlock the door from the outside, the door was only unlocked when i pulled the inside handle.
This has happened before on my driver door and the solution was to replace the door lock. I guess the small motors inside the door lock got bad.

I was about to change the door lock on this rear door, but then i got a second problem and now the door does not even unlock when using the inside handle. It is like the child lock has kicked in without anyone using the proper procedure with the emergency key.

So i can not unlock the door using the key, the door unlock button at the driver seat, from the outside handle or when pulling the inside handle. As i have keyless there is no place to put any emergency key....

Anyone knows how to open the door without the use of the outside or inside handles?
I am not sure if i am able to remove the door trim when the door is locked...

BR
Bolleboll
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The cable could have snapped away from the lock or the inside handle. Search for instructions on how to remove the door trim- you may be able to remove a small panel inside the door trim and be able to pull on the cable with your hand or a tool in order to open the door. you need to slide the plastic panel on top forward to reveal the screws.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/MO..._141324_dp.pdf

Last edited by m1964; 01-16-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hey Bolleboll
Yes you can remove the door panel with the door closed- I removed the backseat bottom but you don't need to. You will probably damage or break some of the mounting points on the inside of the door panel, though they can be fixed (and often break when removing the panel with door open )
On your model there is a panel that has to be removed to access the inside of the door but before you do all that try pulling on the cable from the inside handle- it may just need to go a little further than the handle travels- perhaps the cable stretched.
I have a 14 SQ5 with a rear right door that wouldn't open from outside and I swapped the door motor yet that did not fix it. Upon close inspection I see that the outside handle's travel is on the brink of sometimes opening a freshly unlocked door and sometimes not- it always opens the door once i have unlocked it from the inside- until the next day.
good luck and please let me/us know if you get it fixed what was needed.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi.

The screws for the door trim were in perfect positions to be taken off while the door was still closed. I guess i could bend the door trim to get it off the clips, but i got too nervous that i would break the door trim so i consulted a local service shop.

There are a few tricks that can be used to unlock the door when the door lock is not working, One of them is to gently hit the door around the area where the door lock is placed, while a second person is trying to unlock the door from the driver seat. This might help the door lock to unlock.
But there is even one easier trick... (If you are lucky) :-)

Have the engine turned on, and then you try to unlock the door.
In my case the small motors inside the door lock were failing, and it seems like too little power was supplied to the door lock when the engine was turned off. By having the engine turned on, more power was supplied to the door lock and it opened normally.

If anyone have this problem in the future, just keep the engine on and then you try to unlock the door.

Thank you for the help
Bolleboll
Old 07-30-2018, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had the same problem on my a4. Still trying to fully figure it out. But the rear right door wouldnt open from the outside. My wife had the bright idea to open it from the inside and turn on the child lock and close it to see if that would fix the outside. Why? Dont ask. So I ended up with the door now locked from inside and outside. I got so frustrated that I started clicking the unlock on the key control and pulling the inside handle like crazy and bam it opened from the inside. Now when i close the door and lock with the key fob i have to unlock it and open from the inside first. Only then will the outside handle work. But if i lock it again the outside handle stops working. Crazy.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi.

My guess would be that the small engines inside the door lock is getting worse, and they do not get enough power to open the lock, or there is too much friction for them to work properly. Then when you use the inside handle it makes the situation more easy with less friction for the small engines, and then then are able to open the door lock.
I guess you will notice in a while if the outside door handle stop to work completely.

Have you tried to have the motorengine on when unlocking with the outside handle?? This will also give you an indication that the small lock engines are getting bad and need a little power push or less friction.

Br
Bolleboll
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I’m getting ready to tackle this project (left rear door 2012 Q5). I got the door off and was all the way to removing the torx screw to start removing the door handle. It is a T20, right? I can’t seem to loosen that screw and am stalled out. Any thoughts? Thanks!