Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rear view mirror of all road fell off

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear view mirror of all road fell off

my all road rear view mirror fell off. Dealer said can't be regaled on and need to replace the all windshield ( cost $ 1,000 ) ??
Old 10-12-2017, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Come on. I’m sure the metal bracket can be epoxied back to the windshield.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Come on. I €™m sure the metal bracket can be epoxied back to the windshield.
Go tell this to Audi they are adamant on no
Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by piercosta
Go tell this to Audi they are adamant on no
l would go see a shop the specializes in windshield repair and replacement. They should be able to fix it for you.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhead
l would go see a shop the specializes in windshield repair and replacement. They should be able to fix it for you.
+1. Exactly. Dealers don’t know how to fix things. They only know diagnose and replacement. Wonder if anyone at a dealer knows how to weld? Go to an independent shop.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Driving my RS4 the other day and the mirror starts to shimmy a bit and it gets progressively worse until it falls off and is hanging by the wires. Drive into the Safelite glass shop and ask to have it put back on. Counter person says no problem. Tech comes and takes a look and says it will need a new windshield. I was stunned!

Here is what I have found out so far. There is a bracket that is adhered to the windshield at the factory. So it is part of the windshield assembly. The glue for the bracket is what failed on my car. The tech said there is not enough surface to get the bracket to stay on and they fail after a shop repair. I took a good look and that appears to be the case.

Searching the issue on the web, lots of people have tried to fix it themselves and it does not sound like there have not been many success stories. If the Audi has just a pain small plate and a standard mirror, you can glue the bracket back on. If you have the heavy (1.5 pounds) mirror with the rain sensing, light sensing, etc style, sounds like a new windshield is required. Lots of people have opinions that are similar to mine and do not see how it is possible not to glue it back on, but those that have had the issue seem to have no positive results. I am going to talk to the top indy guy around and see what they say. REALLY hoping I do not have to buy an windshield. Ugh!

I will report back when I get more info of get it fixed.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Boy that's not fun ! I've re-attached lots of rear-view mirrors.Always used a Loctite product and I would say I had 99% success rate but this sounds like it could be different.Any chance you could take some pics that demonstrate the problem at hand ?