Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rear view mirror fell off windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear view mirror fell off windshield

I went out to my 2010 Q5 yesterday and the rear view mirror was hanging by it's wiring. There was a glob of clear goop on the windshield. I tried to push it back on but it would not stay affixed.

Since it was Sunday and the dealer was closed, I used some tape to try to hold it in place. It didn't hold too well but took the load off the wiring.

I took it to the dealer today. He said they have to order a whole new windshield and replace mine. They are ordering it from Germany! This seems rather excessive. He unplugged the mirror and it is sitting in my back seat. The auto headlamps and auto wipers are disabled without the mirror plugged in. It is also rather dangerous driving without a rear view mirror.

Has anyone else had such a problem? Does any one know of a faster simpler solution to reattach the mirror to the windshield?

I'm going to call some other dealers to see if they can repair it without replacing the entire windshield. Today is Monday and they can't get the new windshield until next Monday at the earliest. I'd prefer not to drive it without the mirror for a whole holiday week.

thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Go down to the auto parts store, there is a special glue kit you can get to reattach the mirror to the windshield, doesnt cost much and will take you prolly 10 min. to fix.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbc777
I took it to the dealer today. He said they have to order a whole new windshield and replace mine. They are ordering it from Germany! This seems rather excessive. He unplugged the mirror and it is sitting in my back seat. The auto headlamps and auto wipers are disabled without the mirror plugged in. It is also rather dangerous driving without a rear view mirror.
So funny. Auto headlamps and auto wipers are luxuries and the car can function w/o them.

Also you dont need a rear view mirror. What if you were a truck? towing a trailer? can't see out the back. Thats the least important mirror when you have a left and right mirror. Yeah its nice to have and its comfortable. Not to mention you're used to it but its no necessary and you'll be fine. Besides we have dumbo side mirrors on Q5's which i love!

Is this being covered under warranty btw?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbc777
I went out to my 2010 Q5 yesterday and the rear view mirror was hanging by it's wiring.
I took it to the dealer today. He said they have to order a whole new windshield and replace mine. They are ordering it from Germany! This seems rather excessive. He unplugged the mirror and it is sitting in my back seat.
Has anyone else had such a problem? Does any one know of a faster simpler solution to reattach the mirror to the windshield?
thanks
Exact same thing happened to mine when the car was only 6 months old..I think.
Duct taped it up to take up the weight - damned bloody heavy mirror, btw. Drove to the dealer - kept drooping down.

Got there, they called in a specialty auto-glass shop to come in and fix it on the spot. Just needed to prep the glued area on the windshield and the mirror attaching bracket properly. Applied a special epoxy. No need to remove windshield, it was repaired in-situ! 20 minutes later, I was back on the road. Albeit with a tape to secure it till the epoxy completely cured overnight.

I'm so surprised your dealer thought it's going to be a total windshield replacement! I really wonders if Audi trains these people sufficiently to save some money on warranties of these nature. Imagine the costs involved, to courier in a new windshield across the Atlantic, plus that of the new windshield, labor charges, etc..Hmm...

Last edited by ben_aip; 11-22-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd rather get a brand new windshield and mirror than a shoddily made one that's glued back together.

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Exact same thing happened to mine when the car was only 6 months old..I think.
Duct taped it up to take up the weight - damned bloody heavy mirror, btw. Drove to the dealer - kept drooping down.

Got there, they called in a specialty auto-glass shop to come in and fix it on the spot. Just needed to prep the glued area on the windshield and the mirror attaching bracket properly. Applied a special epoxy. No need to remove windshield, it was repaired in-situ! 20 minutes later, I was back on the road. Albeit with a tape to secure it till the epoxy completely cured overnight.

I'm so surprised your dealer thought it's going to be a total windshield replacement! I really wonders if Audi trains these people sufficiently to save some money on warranties of these nature. Imagine the costs involved, to courier in a new windshield across the Atlantic, plus that of the new windshield, labor charges, etc..Hmm...
Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NMW1982
I'd rather get a brand new windshield and mirror than a shoddily made one that's glued back together.
Careful with those new windshield replacements!

I've had, on two occasions (once experienced personally) seen that the replacement of the windshield not providing the same seal in the long term that the original does (read - leaking seal over the years). In a second instance, a friend had had his windshield replaced and the shop scratched the paint during the replacement - he is now dealing with a rust issue that started below the seal (not visible, but accessible to water)...
Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Asking the dealer to glue a rear view mirror on the windshield is like asking a auto glass replacement shop to do a tune up on your car, its not their specialty. Go talk to the auto glass shop and see if they can glue the bracket back on, thats what the dealer should have done instead of replacing the whole windshield.

Last edited by The G Man; 11-24-2010 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NMW1982
Who's talking about getting any shoddily made one (one what??) and glued back together??
I was explaining very clearly that nothing needs to be replaced. The mirror assy was all good - it just came unglued due possibly to poor surface prep at the factory. And no windshield was removed or replaced.
Only an auto-glass shop can put it back onto your EXISTING windshield! Most reputable autoglass shop will come out to you to do this. And if it was arranged like in my case, by your Audi dealer, the job is covered under warranty.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ben_aip
Who's talking about getting any shoddily made one (one what??) and glued back together??
I was explaining very clearly that nothing needs to be replaced. The mirror assy was all good - it just came unglued due possibly to poor surface prep at the factory. And no windshield was removed or replaced.
Only an auto-glass shop can put it back onto your EXISTING windshield! Most reputable autoglass shop will come out to you to do this. And if it was arranged like in my case, by your Audi dealer, the job is covered under warranty.
I agree, I would rather glue the bracket back on than to replace the windshield, sometimes the seals are just not as good when you replace the windshield.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ask the dealer to glue a rear view mirror on the windshield is like asking a auto glass replacement shop to do a tune up on your car, its not their specialty.
I disagree, the job is so simple a caveman could do it.
Worse than that, is to replace the windshield??? WTF??
Thats like replacing the engine because the oil is dirty.

Quick Reply: rear view mirror fell off windshield