Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

rear view mirror fell off windshield

Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I've had multiple windshields replaced over the years, and yes, if the shop scratches the primer and misses that, you will pay dearly for the bodywork when that scratch rusts out the roof and the whole windshield has to be replaced AGAIN with that extra bodywork--including a whole roof repaint.

Much simpler to repair the mirror, which is essentially just repeating the factory assembly procedure but doing it cleanly.

Loctite used to make a special two-part adhesive kit to do that (Loctite Depend?) with one tube of "crazy glue" and a second tube of primer. Using the correct primer, to ensure it bonds to the plastic, and getting the windshield surgically clean, are the only tricks required to make that work. Any trace of oils or dirt on the glass, and it will fail.

So good surface prep with isopropanol and good paper towels, and reading the instructions, gives you a 100% factory (re)installation for about $25 worth of materials, and no chance of rust problems and collateral damage.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=dbc777;24064638]I went out to my 2010 Q5 yesterday and the rear view mirror was hanging by it's wiring. There was a glob of clear goop on the windshield. I tried to push it back on but it would not stay affixed.

Since it was Sunday and the dealer was closed, I used some tape to try to hold it in place. It didn't hold too well but took the load off the wiring.

I took it to the dealer today. He said they have to order a whole new windshield and replace mine. They are ordering it from Germany! This seems rather excessive. He unplugged the mirror and it is sitting in my back seat. The auto headlamps and auto wipers are disabled without the mirror plugged in. It is also rather dangerous driving without a rear view mirror.

Has anyone else had such a problem? Does any one know of a faster simpler solution to reattach the mirror to the windshield?

I'm going to call some other dealers to see if they can repair it without replacing the entire windshield. Today is Monday and they can't get the new windshield until next Monday at the earliest. I'd prefer not to drive it without the mirror for a whole holiday week.

thanks[

You do not need a new windshield. You are being ripped off. I had the same problem you did and the dealer reattched it at no cost.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NMW1982
I'd rather get a brand new windshield and mirror than a shoddily made one that's glued back together.
The original was glued together. Assembly line workers have their bad days like anyone lese. My new 914, on the way home from purchase, suffered the following" Shift lever came out of the florr, ignition switch fell out. Door panel trim peeled back, shift linkage fell of back of transmissionand was dragging on highway, AND rear view mirror fell off. This was PRIOR to lemon laws being enacted.