Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

recall for the fuel pump flange

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recall for the fuel pump flange

If the fuel pump flange has developed fine cracks or fissures will the malfunction light turns on?? ( This also happens if the cap is not closed properly)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I am guessing it would not turn the light on unless the "fine" cracks were in fact large enough to de-pressurize the tank, i.e. letting it vent into the cabin of the car. In which case most of us would also smell fuel in the car.

If you don't smell fuel in the car, you're probably OK. If you do smell fuel, Audi hasn't formalized the program yet--no spare parts, no dealer paybacks set--so all you can do is pay out of pocket for a repair and then put in for reimbursement, unless your dealer finds a gross failure and gets AoA to pick it up as a separate "accommodation".
Old 05-25-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also just an FIY - our 2010 was part of this recall. Brought it in, they said the flange looked fine so instead of replacing it, they just put some sort of covering over it - i guess to prevent the issue from developing.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will definitely be able to smell the gas in the cabin. I just had this done to granddaughter's 2010 q5. I notified Audi in Memphis TN of the smell and scheduled to come in to do the recall procedure. I brought it in to be told the recall is for inspecting the flange or fuel pump problem not actually fixing the problem and they did not have the part or o ring and had to request the part from Audi. The Memphis TN dealer said that Audi only gave them a limited number of parts for the recall and were now requesting the part as needed. They did provide a loaner and the part came in relatively soon and the work done at no charge.
As mentioned, the smell is distinctive and can't be missed when it happens. Actually it can't be missed for several days afterwards despite cleaning and shampooing carpets.
Wil
Old 06-14-2017, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incidentally to above recall post, I had her q5 in for several items 2 weeks prior to the gas smell problem. At that time I showed the dealer the recall card indicating her particular Audi 2010 Q5 vin number. At this visit they were not able to get to the recall question and I did not see any rush and intended on having it done in the fall when the air bag recall parts were said to be arriving. I guess it was a coincidence the leaking started a week after taking it in for the work. Oh well.
Wil
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I tried to purchase a used SQ5 a few weeks ago from an Audi dealer, only to find out that this recall was in place, including a stop sale. Apparently that means they can't sell the car until a fix is in place. I waited a week and found a better deal elsewhere. I wonder how many of the Audi Q5 sales are impacted by this issue?
Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's weird....I picked up a 13' Q5 3.0T sline from a dealership a couple weeks ago. They told me of the recall and said there was no fix yet but were happy to sell it to me. Not really worried about it. It will get fixed. They dropped the price too...
Old 07-08-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just got my letter about it today.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got a letter about it today as well. This must be recall #4 in under 2 years, might be time to dump it before it just falls apart in my driveway.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Got the letter yesterday. No problem for me, will just do it.

Quick Reply: recall for the fuel pump flange