Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reconditioned wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Reconditioned wheels?

Who has purchased reconditioned wheels, and how have they been?

I am looking at these:

AUDI Q5 19" 2013 2014 2015 13 14 15 FACTORY OEM WHEEL RIM H#58919

And a few others similarly reconditioned.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jim
Old 07-02-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be hesitant to buy "reconditioned" wheels off eBay. It's too easy for someone to just cosmetically repair a wheel that's been structurally compromised from a crack or bend. That's not the kind of thing I would take a chance on.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by riceboy22
I'd be hesitant to buy "reconditioned" wheels off eBay. It's too easy for someone to just cosmetically repair a wheel that's been structurally compromised from a crack or bend. That's not the kind of thing I would take a chance on.
I agree 100%+!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well said and I agree.

A reconditioned wheel or set of wheels from a reputable company with a long track record of welding cracks and balancing wheels might be acceptable for winter tires but . . .

It's an Audi! A high performance luxury car. Do you really want to take the cheap and risky route on something as important as a front wheel?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased wheels for my wife’s Q5 from OE Wheels LLC

They gave me a military discount too. If you read the reviews people state that they’ve asked for discounts and get them.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes I agree with the various notes of caution.As a former garage owner I came across lots of expensive damaged wheels.I live near Montreal - a city of 4 mil. with bad roads.We probably have more than 25 "mag wheel repair shops". I only ever came upon one facility whose work on which I would stake my life on or that of my customers. And that is in fact what you're doing with wheels.My shop would generally reject 30-40 % of what I sent them because they felt that they couldn't be safely reconditioned. Most wheels that get reconditioned either have a crack or serious bend.These can often be dealt with but knowledge and technique are required.Think twice !
By the way seek out talented Italians, they know their metallurgy and they're fun ! No I'm not Italian.
Old 07-03-2017, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Understood. Maybe I should just have mine reconditioned locally. At least I know mine is just cosmetic.

The bitch is, not one scratch in 2.5 years, and get tagged by a damn campus cop, rent a cop.

My car looks OK, the tiniest scuff that will polish out.

Her car.

She passed me going at least 85 in a 65 and misjudged the distance.

No fault because it was our word against hers, and she tried to tell the cop it was us. Fortunately he didn't believe her. She even tried to get me to pay for her damage.

Jim
Old 07-03-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Understood. Maybe I should just have mine reconditioned locally. At least I know mine is just cosmetic.

The bitch is, not one scratch in 2.5 years, and get tagged by a damn campus cop, rent a cop.

My car looks OK, the tiniest scuff that will polish out.

Her car.

She passed me going at least 85 in a 65 and misjudged the distance.

No fault because it was our word against hers, and she tried to tell the cop it was us. Fortunately he didn't believe her. She even tried to get me to pay for her damage.

Jim
I just saw a show about a mobile wheel reconditioning. They did a great job on some old wheels that were taken off a BMW a guy was redoing.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shokhead
I just saw a show about a mobile wheel reconditioning. They did a great job on some old wheels that were taken off a BMW a guy was redoing.
Mobile wheel reconditioning might be worth looking into. I've heard good things about them. Dealerships use them all the time.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rec getting 2 redone if you're picky. It's impossible to refinish to a perfect match to stock, so you'll see the difference in the right lighting. ~$140/wheel.

I certainly wouldn't buy new wheels due to cosmetic damage.

Quick Reply: Reconditioned wheels?