AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Red Q5?? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/red-q5-2891056/)

TomMartin 10-27-2015 05:58 PM

Red Q5??

In the photo thread and I think one additional thread I saw a red Q5. None in the current color offerings.

Was this other country offering or different year?

Why essentially 10 shades of grey and white and black? Audi has such great reds...why not Q5?

Thanks...TomMartin

P.S. Wife first criteria in hunting for a new car is it HAS to be red!

May have to look at A4...TomMartin

TomMartin 10-27-2015 06:33 PM

I was able to PM the member that owns the beautiful red Q5...turns out it was a "special order" paint color...MIsano Red. Took 7 months to get delivered and cost $3,900. Not a bad deal...but it does rule out "instant gratification".

Not out of the question...wife is focused on red color and would love Misano Red,. TomMartin

idale 10-28-2015 08:13 AM

Misano... I assume that was JBD's SQ5. He was luckily able to get his Audi Exclusive order in, since they'd dropped the Q5 at least for the time being from being able to get Exclusive colors.

At least for 2014 there was Volcano Red available (more of a burnt orange than a "real" red), not sure if it's still available or not. Configurations showing or not showing on the website are poor indicators of actual availability, it's more of a general idea -- the order sheets are the actual word on what's available (and I haven't kept up to date on what they 2016 sheet says).

The Q5 does tend to mostly get "boring" colors, though, with mostly white/black/brown/grey options (and typically the less-exciting shades of those). Volcano Red and Scuba Blue have pretty much been the most "exciting" the Q5's had. Volcano certainly stands out, Scuba's still a pretty conservative color (it just has a lighter metallic effect that at least adds a little something).

teatime 10-28-2015 08:51 AM

They discontinued volcano red for 2016. My sales guy says they sold one Q5 in that color in the past 3 years here (Audi North Atlanta). I settled in for Monsoon Gray Metallic on my 2016 TDI

asmi84 10-28-2015 08:52 AM

Oh wow didn't know that red is not available in US. It is available over here in Canada as one of colour options ("Volcano Red Metallic") for both Q5 and SQ5, but you would probably need to order it (and then wait for 3 months to actually get it) as I've never seen red Q5 or SQ5 out in the wild nor on a dealer lot.

ex-quattro PETE 10-28-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by teatime (Post 24736773)
They discontinued volcano red for 2016. My sales guy says they sold one Q5 in that color in the past 3 years here (Audi North Atlanta).

I'm not surprised. It was a bit of an odd color.

Wife really wanted a red one, but when she saw Volcano Red in the showroom, she quickly backed off from it. It was just a very flashy looking red. Had a darker red been available (without having to go through Audi Exclusive to get it), she probably would have gotten in.

idale 10-28-2015 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by teatime (Post 24736773)
They discontinued volcano red for 2016. My sales guy says they sold one Q5 in that color in the past 3 years here (Audi North Atlanta). I settled in for Monsoon Gray Metallic on my 2016 TDI

Thanks for the confirmation. I've seen several different Q5s with Volcano running around here, probably about the same as Scuba (that being "some but not a lot"). I guess they wanted to free up room on the order sheet for a few more browns (which I've maybe seen one of ever but I guess were popular enough). :D

I wonder if there's actually a logistical issue with providing a little more variety in the available colors for us, or if it's to keep "on message" and make people have to pay for Exclusive if they want anything more interesting (helping make up profit margins on the mass orders). It'd be nice to have a little more variety, even if less-conservative colors were in a higher-priced tier than the "base" colors.

TomMartin 10-28-2015 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by idale (Post 24736801)
Thanks for the confirmation. I've seen several different Q5s with Volcano running around here, probably about the same as Scuba (that being "some but not a lot"). I guess they wanted to free up room on the order sheet for a few more browns (which I've maybe seen one of ever but I guess were popular enough). :D

I wonder if there's actually a logistical issue with providing a little more variety in the available colors for us, or if it's to keep "on message" and make people have to pay for Exclusive if they want anything more interesting (helping make up profit margins on the mass orders). It'd be nice to have a little more variety, even if less-conservative colors were in a higher-priced tier than the "base" colors.

I too would pay a bit more for some more creative colors...and the do have them in their "paint room" :)

BTW...Audi in Mpls has an A6 on the floor with a $75K price tag. In additional to the many options it is in a "special order" very nice dark green paint. Price appears about $10K higher than any of their many other A6s.

While wife's soft spot is bright red...I really like a rich dark green...but not $75K :)

awryexperiment 10-28-2015 09:23 AM

There was a true red offered in 2009-2011 but was discontinued to add another grey in 2012.

uberwgn 10-28-2015 09:26 AM

Someone in my town has a red 3.2L Q5. Not sure which red it is, but it's sort of a strawberry metallic color. Looks pretty nice.