Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

REDD - battery question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I think (vaguely) apoelistas had posted some drawings. The EU version of the Q5 that is used as an emergency response vehicle has dual batteries, and that's the same compartment they use for the "house" battery in that application, no hybrid needed. It would make a good place to put the 12v battery in a hybrid configuration, if the main motive battery was placed under the spare/fuel tank, etc. area. This would have to be a normally dead spot. outboard of the frame "rail" that prevents us from putting a full width spare tire in the car.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I think (vaguely) apoelistas had posted some drawings. The EU version of the Q5 that is used as an emergency response vehicle has dual batteries, and that's the same compartment they use for the "house" battery in that application, no hybrid needed. It would make a good place to put the 12v battery in a hybrid configuration, if the main motive battery was placed under the spare/fuel tank, etc. area. This would have to be a normally dead spot. outboard of the frame "rail" that prevents us from putting a full width spare tire in the car.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...ttery-2944695/

Post #2

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-11-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Geez Bob I just reread that post and my headache is back ! One day my 14Tdi battery will croak and I'll have to come back to this.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Geez Bob I just reread that post and my headache is back ! One day my 14Tdi battery will croak and I'll have to come back to this.
Don't even think too hard on all this. When your battery dies just go buy a H8 (you can squeeze in the H9 for a little more CCA security in Canada). Remove the old battery, put in the new one, then just change the last digit of the old code in the Q5.
You will then be good to go until the next one dies.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Finally got around to re-coding the new battery and the one thing that seems troubling is the ampere hour of the new battery at 66? Could have sworn this was rated at 92 Ah.
Over time should this number go up? It was fully charged over night and this reading was taken with the engine running.
See pics

Old code

New code entered and accepted. First number of serial was upped one to 3.

Measuring Blocks reading
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dudealicious
Finally got around to re-coding the new battery and the one thing that seems troubling is the ampere hour of the new battery at 66? Could have sworn this was rated at 92 Ah.
Over time should this number go up? It was fully charged over night and this reading was taken with the engine running.
See pics

That number doesn't mean much. Look at my new battery data in post #27 above my new battery is rated at 95Ah, the data shows 78Ah. This battery was completely charged off the car before I installed it. It is almost impossible to determine the capacity of a battery unless you perform a complete controlled discharge/charge/discharge cycle measuring the Ah's used. What does you Group 022, Total Energy Balance show? This is the most important number.

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 02-13-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Old 02-14-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

9998Ah capacity? You couldn't reach 10,000 even? (G)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Dudealicious, the Total Energy Balance that you provided indicates that the Q5 Power Management System was reset properly for a new battery installation.

That TEB number will slowly decrease over the life of a battery, when it reaches a set low number it will start turning off some of the Q5's electrical systems (MMI, radio, heated seats, etc.) giving you a heads-up that you should recharge the battery properly, or replace it.

Just enjoy that the fact that you know that you have installed a new battery, it's working properly, the Q5 PMS is reset, and I would forget about it!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:46 AM
TeQ
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
This is for Murray as requested.................

Installed a new Advance Auto, AGM Platinum Auto Craft H8, 95 Ah, 900 CCA, 3 year replacement warranty, $150 after using the 25% off discount code.

Pull the cargo floor cover, subwoofer, tool tray, and spare tire.

Lift up the battery/ jack cover to expose the battery. This cover is removable. Remove the jack and tool kit.

I connected my C-TEK charger to the under hood jump start/charging terminals to power up the Q5 to save all the settings. My C-TEK has a 13 V Source supply mode to do so.

I then removed the negative terminal, then the positive terminal. I placed a piece of cardboard between the positive cable and the sheet metal , as my positive cable terminal was powered up by the C-TEK charger and didn't want to short it out if the positive cable touched metal.
Remove the battery vent hose (top center, right side).

Remove the single hold down bolt attached to the nylon strap.

Wiggle the battery as far back (towards back bumper) as possible, then tilt the front up and it will come out. It's a tight fit, but will come out.

In case you want to know what is under that very large positive terminal connector module, that assembly all lifts off as one piece......

Just perform the reverse steps to reinstall the new battery. Everything fit the new battery, the positive terminal module, the positive flat little cover, the vent hose, etc.

I then used VCDS to recode the new battery to the Q5 BMS (Battery Management System)

I used these steps as outlined by Ross-Tech, there is a video listed there also.

Battery Replacement - Ross-Tech Wiki

I used the 2nd procedure, 19-CAN Gateway using CAN, as my new battery was basically the same as the old and all I did was change my old battery's last serial number digit from a 1 to a 2 to reset the BMS system.
Extremely quick to do it this way

In the New Value window I changed the last 1 to a 2.
Hit test button and the Test Value window showed the same characters with the last one now a 2.
Clicked on Done, Go Back.

Some of new battery VCDS readings..........

Engine not running...

With engine running

Any questions just ask.............
Bob
I installed the same battery, but the serial number ends in a letter...

I read on the VCDS Forum that you can change any number in the serial number and the car will recognize a new battery. I thought of changing the 'F' to a "G", or 100531 to 100631. I believe that is the mfg date. My car was built in 2010.
Thoughts?

Thanks

Quick Reply: REDD - battery question.