Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Removing OEM Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing OEM Hitch

Hi all, purchased a 16 SQ5 that has a hitch installed, never going to tow with this vehicle and I hate the look of it... sort of confused on if the hitch actually looks like this and will only need the 1 reinforcement beam to replace the hitch or if I will need the reinforcement beam and the 2 brackets that slide into the body
Anyone have a picture of an OEM hitch uninstalled? Or has installed/un-installed one and can tell me
The oem part description makes it seem as if it is mounted to the brackets and does not slide into the body as seen with the Draw-Tite hitch https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201545178
Also, Side note...anyone looking to purchase a OEM hitch!
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I will straight swap with you, Note: I have no idea it that would work. I believe it is all one piece.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never say never.....

They can come in handy....
Old 06-19-2018, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

If you remove the trailer module also you will need to re-program or have error messages. Can of worms, I am with Coolieman1220 leave it on comes in handy.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krswon
Hi all, purchased a 16 SQ5 that has a hitch installed, never going to tow with this vehicle and I hate the look of it... sort of confused on if the hitch actually looks like this and will only need the 1 reinforcement beam to replace the hitch or if I will need the reinforcement beam and the 2 brackets that slide into the body
Anyone have a picture of an OEM hitch uninstalled? Or has installed/un-installed one and can tell me
The oem part description makes it seem as if it is mounted to the brackets and does not slide into the body as seen with the Draw-Tite hitch https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...leid=201545178
Also, Side note...anyone looking to purchase a OEM hitch!
Hi, the OEM hitch replaces the aluminum impact bar on all Q5's...though maybe the SQ5 is different judging by your diagram. It's not hard to replace the hitch, but you'll need to obtain an impact bar and spend an afternoon doing the work. Given the time and money involved, I'd leave the hitch on the car.

Brian
Old 06-19-2018, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Or cut the receiver off the hinch bar...and cover with the plate.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
Never say never.....

They can come in handy....
Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
If you remove the trailer module also you will need to re-program or have error messages. Can of worms, I am with Coolieman1220 leave it on comes in handy.
I have a truck to tow with if need be, didn't think I would need to code to remove it though
Old 06-19-2018, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Warhead
I will straight swap with you, Note: I have no idea it that would work. I believe it is all one piece.
I'm open for a swap but domestically
Old 06-19-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Or cut the receiver off the hinch bar...and cover with the plate.

What?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by krswon
I'm open for a swap but domestically
You really should let people know what state and town you live in to make this happen. I know a guy here Denver, CO who wants a cheap hitch. Also the process is pretty simple. Take the bumper off, take out some of the interior panels in the hatch, unplug the wire harness, remove 4 bolts holding the hitch on, put the aluminum bumper beam on, and put it all back together. Yes you will likely have to code the car to remove the OEM hitch, especially if you have side assist or similar options.

Quick Reply: Removing OEM Hitch