Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Replacing the tires - recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the tires - recommendations

2014 TDI Michelin Lattitude came on the Q from the factory. They seem to be wearing faster than I anticipated, certainly after than I thought for Michelins that are usually long wearing. To be clear, they are NOT worn out, just wearing faster than I expected.

The next set need to be some all-seasons, it's a four season vehicle for me. Recommendations for tires with grip in all conditions and at least decent tire wear?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

For A/S tires, you will have to choose between sport handling in summer or some grip in winter. All sport A/S tires have very little grip in the snow.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

What wheel size? I just replaced my original contis with the Pirellis Verde. Had them for over a week so not enough for any jugment but so far I like them. I spent hours on forums and talking to the tire rack people and it came down to the contis and Pirellis. I got 27k on my original tires and they were pretty much done. 19 inch wheel.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

235x55x19
all seasons are always a compromise, and the better and much more expensive alternative is going summers and buying a second set for winter - but I'm not ready to spring for that. So …

I have Pirelli's on my wife's A3 but think I could probably do a little better in the snow.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

buy a set of wheels for winter tires. Put regular summer tires on the 'normal' wheels…swap em out when winter shows up…All season tires are also know as 'no season' tires..
Old 08-11-2015, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default A/S tires

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
buy a set of wheels for winter tires. Put regular summer tires on the 'normal' wheels…swap em out when winter shows up…All season tires are also know as 'no season' tires..
I used Nitto 421 in 20" last winter. Certainly not the equivalent to dedicated snows but got me through albeit more slowly. Have been great this summer-- grippy, quiet good wear at 10k miles on set.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Mine are 255/45/ZR20's but surely they make 19". They are very quiet on the pavement and excellent in the rain and very good in the snow. Dealer replaced the Summer tires that came on my Q5TDI with these before delivery. They have over 23K on them and are wearing very well....
Old 08-11-2015, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Continental Extreme Contact DWS. Mine are 255/45/ZR20's but surely they make 19". They are very quiet on the pavement and excellent in the rain and very good in the snow. Dealer replaced the Summer tires that came on my Q5TDI with these before delivery. They have over 23K on them and are wearing very well....
+1

There's a new version as of this yr - DWS 06. Supposedly even better!
Old 08-11-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Continental Extreme Contact DWS. [...] very good in the snow.
Wife had them on her C300 4matic. I thought they were very mediocre in the snow. Just barely passable in light snow. They also became noisy fairly quickly.

If you drive in sizable amounts of snow, and if you want to do it right, get dedicated winter tires.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
All season tires are also know as 'no season' tires..
Very true, although I've had good luck using UHP all-season tires during Spring, Summer, and Fall, and then switching to dedicated winter tires for Winter on both our cars. Unless you go to the track, UHP all-seasons typically have plenty of grip in dry and wet conditions on the streets, yet they last longer than typical summer-only tires.

Quick Reply: Replacing the tires - recommendations