Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Replica rims on Q5

Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Pirelli Scorpions are still just an all-season tire, they are not mud/snow rated.

Sure, that would be better in very light snow than a "summer only" tire like Audi's "sport" racing slicks, but you'd have to be nuts to use an all-season tire as a winter driving tire. None of them can hold a candle to any REAL snow tire. (No offense.)

Plenty of other threads where folks have said the same thing. If you a/b test any 4-season tire against any real snow tire, on the same day in the same snow, you'll quickly agree.

If you're buying a thousand dollars worth of winter wheels and tires just on the odd chance that it might snow once a year wherever you are...Save it and rent a car on that day. :-)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 296 Likes on 161 Posts

This is not my Q5, but these are the same wheels. This one has been lowered by H&R sport springs:

Mine's at factory ride height, but I'm going to lower it this week with the same spring set as well.

Interestingly enough, these Hartmann reps will eventually become MY winter wheels as well! I have a set of cast Rotiform SNAs (20 x 10) that are going on shortly for the summer wheels. I don't need a full on serious winter snow tire setup - more lots of cold rain with the occasional venture into the snow....
Old 03-18-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Pirelli Scorpions are still just an all-season tire, they are not mud/snow rated.

Sure, that would be better in very light snow than a "summer only" tire like Audi's "sport" racing slicks, but you'd have to be nuts to use an all-season tire as a winter driving tire. None of them can hold a candle to any REAL snow tire. (No offense.)

Plenty of other threads where folks have said the same thing. If you a/b test any 4-season tire against any real snow tire, on the same day in the same snow, you'll quickly agree.

If you're buying a thousand dollars worth of winter wheels and tires just on the odd chance that it might snow once a year wherever you are...Save it and rent a car on that day. :-)
Google : Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow

Made for Luxury SUV for winter driving...
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by biff2bart
This is not my Q5, but these are the same wheels. This one has been lowered by H&R sport springs:

Mine's at factory ride height, but I'm going to lower it this week with the same spring set as well.

Interestingly enough, these Hartmann reps will eventually become MY winter wheels as well! I have a set of cast Rotiform SNAs (20 x 10) that are going on shortly for the summer wheels. I don't need a full on serious winter snow tire setup - more lots of cold rain with the occasional venture into the snow....
I just love those wheels....

Have it for my GTI winter setup, but now I'm gonna stick to them for Q5 as well.

Thanks,
Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Chuck-
The original post was "Pirelli Scorpion". Period.
And given that information, that tire is not a snow tire.

Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow is a totally different tire. Be careful which one you order, if you want the snow tire. And that they are available in the same size you want. SNow tires aren't always available in the same size ranges.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:07 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't see Nokian WR SUV3 mentioned anywhere here. Nokian calls 'em a winter "all-weather" (not all-season) tire and defines the difference.
Directly from Nokian website "Nokian Tyres is the only tire manufacturer in the world that focuses on products and services that facilitate safe transportation in Nordic conditions.".
Personally I've felt for many years the "AS" tires have caused more winter driving problems, witnessed by watching videos of autos losing control in the snow/ice conditions and not even able to negotiate mild slopes on local roads.
They're a bogus product that exists in spite of all the safety concerns for drivers.
http://www.nokiantyres.com/winter-ty...kian-wr-suv-3/
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"Personally I've felt for many years the "AS" tires have caused more winter driving problems, "

Yes and no. An all-season rated tire is better than no rating at all. The problem is more that the average idiot thinks it means "this is all you need" when it really means "this is slightly better than nothing".

Which comes back to driving in the US. Most US drivers couldn't pass a license exam in many EU countries, and something like 10% of the drivers in the US don't have even a US state license either. Some because it was taken away, others because they couldn't pass it. Or buy their road test result.

Can't blame the tools for a bad carpenter.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys

These are the rims I'm considering:
http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...lDataID/195828

Do you think these are really low quality? How heavy do you think they will be?
I've asked the tire store but no reply yet.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by wilshireblvd
Hi guys

These are the rims I'm considering:
http://www.performanceplustire.com/p...lDataID/195828

Do you think these are really low quality? How heavy do you think they will be?
I've asked the tire store but no reply yet.
About the quality best answer is: no reply yet

Hartmann rims best replicas and the best price to quality ratio
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If a seller can't get the weight for you, they're bozos and you have to bear in mind they are just "selling stuff" which usually isn't a good sign. IIRC wheels can be DOT approved for street use and if that's right, you'd want to know if these are.

But there are also places selling what are apparently cleaned-up used wheels around $225 each that look like new, and always junkyards selling wheels. At least you know those were well-made originally. Black finishing, can always be applied.

Businesses that can't answer the phone or respond to email? I try to help them deal with that, by leaving them in peace and quiet and going to another business instead.