Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Resolved --> Audi Q5 Crossbar Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THANK YOU!!

Originally Posted by Techm8n
The other problem with the Q5 crossbar is that you can't adjust the space between the bars. I need to adjust the space because of my snowboard bindings.

I'm considering grinding off the four prongs off the back crossbar that insert in the side rails. This will allow the back crossbar to be adjustable.

I think my 2009 Q5 must have had different inserts, as the noise from my 2012 bars are significantly worse. Can wait to get these new strips on.

I agree about the positioning. Our Touareg could be adjusted anywhere. FYI, you can move the Q5's without grinding off the prongs, but I don't know how "strong" it would be.

REALLY great find - again, thanks!
Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiByNature
I think my 2009 Q5 must have had different inserts, as the noise from my 2012 bars are significantly worse. Can wait to get these new strips on.

I agree about the positioning. Our Touareg could be adjusted anywhere. FYI, you can move the Q5's without grinding off the prongs, but I don't know how "strong" it would be.

Great Thule find. Thanks. As for moving the racks, I also had a Touareg with full sliding, no pins. Has anyone tried an aftermarket rack? Does it increase distance between bars?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mirekmal
Techm8n, not sure if I got your solution right; on pictures I can see 2 different kinds of rubber strips (one flat and one with some pattern). Are both of them part of Thule solution or just the one with pattern? I'm asking this, because my roof bars come with 'flat' one and frankly speaking I'm not complaining about noise. Or rather if so, then I'd relate it to roof box rather than bars. So I'm wondering if replacing plain stripes with patterned one would give some noise reduction...
It's to show the difference between the two. You need to change both with the Thule patterned WindDiffuser strip.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Wass
Great Thule find. Thanks. As for moving the racks, I also had a Touareg with full sliding, no pins. Has anyone tried an aftermarket rack? Does it increase distance between bars?
The Thule Aeroblade kit doesn't have pins, so it's adjustable in distance. The Yakima is also adjustable, but they also have a kit that has the pins.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiByNature

Yes I can slide it but it'll sit on the pins. Its stronger if I grind the pins off so it sits flat on the back plate.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Techm8n
Yes I can slide it but it'll sit on the pins. Its stronger if I grind the pins off so it sits flat on the back plate.
I do not want to understand me wrong!!
Did you know that the pins are the way to activate a different mode ESP system (with or without crossbar)
This is why Audi gives the crossbar as standard equipment
Name:  ScreenShot204.jpg
Views: 4957
Size:  90.0 KB

Last edited by spijun; 06-17-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

wonder if this will work on the Q7..... should be the same style and length
Old 06-17-2012, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's cool....

Originally Posted by spijun
Did you know that the pins are the way to activate a different mode ESP system (with or without crossbar)
I didn't realize that. I'm surprised that a lot would change crossbar vs no crossbar, but Audi is an engineering company, so it wouldn't surprise me. I wonder what parameters are changed. Any insight on that?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Yes, I am aware of this.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:43 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well it is impressive that they tweak ESP depending on whether cross bars are mounted or not - but it would be even more impressive if they made the towers on the rear cross bar a bit taller so that the rear cross bar would be level with the front - as it is the rear bar is about an inch or so lower than the front. Verify by parking on a level spot and then putting a carpenters level across the 2 bars.

Quick Reply: Resolved --> Audi Q5 Crossbar Wind Noise