Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Resolved --> Audi Q5 Crossbar Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiByNature
I didn't realize that. I'm surprised that a lot would change crossbar vs no crossbar, but Audi is an engineering company, so it wouldn't surprise me. I wonder what parameters are changed. Any insight on that?
Inside there is a sensor that provides information to change the computer systems of ESP.
Changing the parameters ESP system due to changes center of gravity and changes vehicle height.
Sorry for my English
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rez
Well it is impressive that they tweak ESP depending on whether cross bars are mounted or not - but it would be even more impressive if they made the towers on the rear cross bar a bit taller so that the rear cross bar would be level with the front - as it is the rear bar is about an inch or so lower than the front. Verify by parking on a level spot and then putting a carpenters level across the 2 bars.
The answer is simple
Height of roof at the front and rear of the vehicle is different.
At the front roof of the car is the height of 3 cm higher
Sorry for my English
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the Q5 for a two hour drive today. I was hitting some sideways high winds so I heard some wind noise. I don't think it was from the crossbars because the noise would go away when the side winds tone down.

The WindDiffuser strip definitely lowered the crossbar wind noise and the whistle is now gone. But I do want to say that it's not going to be whisper quite.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, am I reading this correctly, some actually leave their cross bars on when they don't need them ? Techm8n, presume yours is just testing. but do others ?

Not sure I want to impact the handling of the vehicle by making it think it has another 200 lbs of weight way up high to compensate for
(which is what those pins tell the traction control system)

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 06-18-2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I've left mine on since installing earlier this spring (taking them on/off daily would be a bit overkill, as I use them for bikes). I've noticed no different in handling/on or driving feel...

-tgt

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
So, am I reading this correctly, some actually leave their cross bars on when they don't need them ? Techm8n, presume yours is just testing. but do others ?

Not sure I want to impact the handling of the vehicle by making it think it has another 200 lbs of weight way up high to compensate for

Last edited by tgt; 06-18-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiByNature
I didn't realize that. I'm surprised that a lot would change crossbar vs no crossbar, but Audi is an engineering company, so it wouldn't surprise me. I wonder what parameters are changed. Any insight on that?
When load is detected on the roof rails, the ESP will probably be more sensitive and activate earlier when traction loss is detected.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo

Handling won't be affected. Only the the ESP response to traction lose. It'll activate earlier and more aggressive. So you won't notice any difference unless youre pushing your Q5 to its handling limits which is when the ESP intervenes.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
The answer is simple
Height of roof at the front and rear of the vehicle is different.
At the front roof of the car is the height of 3 cm higher
Sorry for my English
Understand - so if they made the supports/towers for the rear bar 3cm taller than for the front bar they would be level.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 Roof Rack Wind Noise

I just installed the Thule rubber strips on my cross bars and took the vehicle out for a test drive - wind noise gone.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Q5s May Already Have WindDiffuser Strips...

Originally Posted by Techm8n
It's to show the difference between the two. You need to change both with the Thule patterned WindDiffuser strip.
It's possible many Q5's have been already delivered with Thule patterned WindDiffuser strips. I picked up my Q5 in March 2009, but didn't unwrap the bars until May 2009, at which time I noticed a small end piece was cracked. My dealer then ordered under warranty a whole new replacement bar kit. My original bars had come with smooth strips, but the replacement bar kit arrived with patterned strips identical to your pictures of the Thule WindDiffuser strips. So it appears Thule has supplied WindDiffuser type strips to Audi since at least mid-2009, but who knows how many smooth strips were already in production inventory.

Quick Reply: Resolved --> Audi Q5 Crossbar Wind Noise