Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reverse camera w/o nav kit?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thinktwice
Did you receive and install it yet? If so, how do you like the picture quality? I have the factory backup cam and absolutely hate the picture quality. It's fuzzy and blurry compared to the IS250 I had which had a nice and clear picture. I'd like to upgrade my camera unit if possible.
I have a 2010 Q5 and 2011 A4 with Nav and backup cameras. The video image is very clear. Surprised that you have a different experience. I had a Lexus RX400h and Infiniti G35x in past with backup cameras as well and the Audi backups are equal or better.

Please make sure your camera lens isn't dirty. That would do make the image unclear.

Dennis
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
I have a 2010 Q5 and 2011 A4 with Nav and backup cameras. The video image is very clear. Surprised that you have a different experience. I had a Lexus RX400h and Infiniti G35x in past with backup cameras as well and the Audi backups are equal or better.

Please make sure your camera lens isn't dirty. That would do make the image unclear.

Dennis
I'm certain it's not a dirty lens as I've noticed even on the loaner Q5's have driven. Maybe I'm just picky. It appears to be the video feed or quality of the camera to me, almost like Audi used a low resolution camera that jitters especially in low light.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd call the picture quality of the backup camera on my 2013 Q5 "Good".

My previous car was a 2010 Lexus and I'd call it "Very Good" on that car. They both do the job, but one was noticeably clearer than the other.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm certain it's not a dirty lens as I've noticed even on the loaner Q5's have driven. Maybe I'm just picky. It appears to be the video feed or quality of the camera to me, almost like Audi used a low resolution camera that jitters especially in low light.
I have never had "jitters". At night, my backup lights make the video view of objects bright and clear. No issues at all.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I have found my back up camera is not good for seeing cars coming down a lane in the parking lot behind me. I still have to look around
Old 08-27-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Reggie
I have found my back up camera is not good for seeing cars coming down a lane in the parking lot behind me. I still have to look around
Reggie, do you think that is due to lack of image quality, or because of the wide-angle view it has limited distance capability. The right side mirror is wide angle as well, and it is tough to make out distant objects.

Camera is good for close up objects.

Dennis
Old 08-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jdntea
Hi,

Did you get this installed yet? I think I want to order the Jemko system, too. I'm having a tough time gaging the rear distance while parallel parking and I'll have to do it often living in nyc. Did you get the module that turns the line as you turn the wheel in reverse?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the late reply. Never received an email. It should be in any day now. They are so popular, that they are on back order for a month. Can't wait!
No, I didn't get the Module. Couldn't justify another $150 for lines that turn and project my path. If I'm not mistaken, the kit already has the distance lines set up(that you can adjust), but they just don't move. I am fine with that. I'll keep everyone posted when it's installed.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did you receive and install it yet? If so, how do you like the picture quality? I have the factory backup cam and absolutely hate the picture quality. It's fuzzy and blurry compared to the IS250 I had which had a nice and clear picture. I'd like to upgrade my camera unit if possible.
Same thing, didn't see the notification of post. It should be here any day and I will take an afternoon to attempt to install it. I will keep you posted. The system is so popular, there is a 1 month back order right now.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default JemkoSystems backup camera installed on Audi Q5 premium plus

Hey to all, Happy holidays, I thought i would try to bring some light into this thread. So let me just start by saying the following:
1. The car I have is 2011 Audi Q5 premium plus, no navi, no backup camera, no sensors, this set up will work for most Audi Q5 up to year 2013
2. I bought my system from jemkosystems with rear handle/camera set up, this how it's done OEM, that's what I was going for anyway
3. Before you start your build, there are few things that you will need to get to complete your install without running to the stores like I did
4. Running wires from back to front was most painful experience out of this whole installation, the rest is ease,
5. So if anyone is interested in DIY for this set up, I can write up my experience and you can make your own modifications as you go
6. I did go to pro installers and they all wanted 250-475 $ for this installation, which i believe does not cost that much

any questions let me know
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd love to see the write up (hopefully with pics). I've got Nav and really regret not spending the extra $1K for the b/u camera.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse camera w/o nav kit?