Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Reverse camera w/o nav kit?

Old 12-04-2013, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dudki
Hey to all, Happy holidays, I thought i would try to bring some light into this thread. So let me just start by saying the following:
1. The car I have is 2011 Audi Q5 premium plus, no navi, no backup camera, no sensors, this set up will work for most Audi Q5 up to year 2013
2. I bought my system from jemkosystems with rear handle/camera set up, this how it's done OEM, that's what I was going for anyway
3. Before you start your build, there are few things that you will need to get to complete your install without running to the stores like I did
4. Running wires from back to front was most painful experience out of this whole installation, the rest is ease,
5. So if anyone is interested in DIY for this set up, I can write up my experience and you can make your own modifications as you go
6. I did go to pro installers and they all wanted 250-475 $ for this installation, which i believe does not cost that much

any questions let me know
I'd love a write-up as well. Been dragging my feet on this but I'd really like to get it done DIY.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default JemkoSystems backup camera installed on Audi Q5 premium plus

I have installed everything already so some pictures will be difficult to take since everything is already installed and hidden, but i will take pictures of whatever I can.
I have to say big thank you for this persons write up on installation, he is a good man, my hat goes to you SIR, Thank you. here is his website
http://12vsupport.blogspot.com/2013/...a-install.html
His write up is done with camera that mounts in place of rear license plate light, mine was rear handle/camera set up, so there are some differences in wiring, but its all the same in general. I will be away for a week so when I get back I will post the pictures of the installation and final product.
In mean time if you are planning this install get yourself few things
1. good wire strippers with clamping capability, to clamp wires together and to ground
2. shrink wrap, I got red and black, it helps, but your choice
3. Autozone sells cloth tape by 3M,called "friction tape" its nice to see clean install and it helps with keeping noise down/prevent wires from rubbing or buy it from ebay, there are many choices
4. 3M sells good " made in USA electrical tape" get that, cheep stuff just doesn't cut it
5. Clamp connecters to connect wires,
6. Relay with 5 or 4 connections,85, 86, 87, 30. 87A not used, plug connector for the relay
7. inline fuse holder for 5 amp fuse
8. fish wire, use plastic one, metal scratches the cabin plastic and paint, learned the hard way.
9. Valcro tape, thick one to hold interface in place
10. trim removal tools, they are plastic tools to remove different types of trim
11. wires: red and gray, that's what I used but choice is yours, 12-16 feet is more than enough
12. And of cause the interface with backup camera. I used Jemkosystems, its your choice who you use
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry forgot to say: SPDT automotive relay and the universal socket for that relay, Bosch makes one, parts express have them with all the other stuff that i mentioned.
Wires I used are 20-22 gauge you could use 18 too
I also set up screen mirroring for my Samsung s4so that I can use google navi on the Audi screen, it's a bit complicated but I will write about it if anyone interested
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

jdn-
You may find it is some task wiring in a backup camera unless you go with a "wireless" option that just needs power in the back. Even then, fun under the dash.

Personally I've never had a problem with judging the distance to the back of a station wagon (someone at Audi is going to write a demerit in my personal file for calling it that, aren't they?) but would suggest that you give it a few weeks. It is generally easier to judge where the back of a wagon is, after all, it is right behind the back window.<G>

Speaking of which, though, the rubbery back bumper tends to get beat in parallel parking. You might want to have something installed on it, like body side molding, or one of those mats that hang down (PITA) because otherwise, that's an expensive rear bumper skin and in NYC, everyone parks by braille.

Rearview cameras were supposed to be mandatory in the US for the 2014 model year, then the fed chickened out and postponed them. That's why we don't have them, and I'd bet the Canadians didn't chicken out, and required them. We chickened out on daylight running lights, which they require, too.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

can you please explain how you fish the wiring from rear to front. was it difficult to remove the rear door trim?
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I simply ran them from the back to the front on passenger side by guiding wires under the trim with fish wire, use plastic one it's better, PITA by the way, but there is a way to remove trim and put it back, some users on this forum believe that removing trim will cause rattles and problems later, so i decided to avoid that and used trim tools just to lift trim a little bit and ran wires under the side trim on passenger side, once you get pass that big piece on rear passenger side it's easy, I am attaching this file with trim removal guide. it's for driver side but works the same for passenger too, little hook in the trunk removes and there is a screw behind it it will help to run the wire for you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Rear camera install.pdf (3.03 MB, 2822 views)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

in my previous post there is a site that i refer to , look at that one too, great write up
Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is a tamplet for the tool to remove AMI, I made mine from metal strips I bought at lowes, HD has them too, they are the ones you use to hang garage doors, strip with halls in it, it's right width and ease to cut with shears
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
removal tool.pdf (108.2 KB, 149 views)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

for the Jemco, back up system to use screen mirror with Samsung phones and other devises that support mirroring, I got short HDMI cable, 1foot long is enough, then I got mini HDMI to CVBS box, its a box witha port for Hdmi and 3RCA cables, thats what feeds into the Jemco system, get RCA cables to connect to Jemco system too, also you will need Netgear Push2TV PTV3000 Wireless Display Adapter(try to update yours to latest software), now when it comes to power, I had to install double USB port in the glove compartment to feed power to Push2TV and HDMI video converter, it was ease, because we have a fuse box on the passenger side and one of the ports could be used for power, whats great about that port is the fact that it goes off when you turn the car off, I mean when you are in accessory mode it's on but when keys come out its off, so power drain problem there, I used ADD a fuse adapter( mini fuse one), there is a name for it, can't remember now, I used 5amp fuse, set up is simple enough ones you got all the stuff i mentioned.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant to say NO power drain problem sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse camera w/o nav kit?