AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   Rock Flew Off Truck - How To Fix Scratch? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/rock-flew-off-truck-how-fix-scratch-2889744/)

subterFUSE 09-28-2015 06:29 PM

Rock Flew Off Truck - How To Fix Scratch?

1 Attachment(s)
Like the title says... A rock came flying off a truck on the highway and got the passenger side of the hood.

The scratch is small (about size of 1 fingertip) but deep. Definitely goes down well into the metal. (see attachment)

What's the best way to fix this, without getting resprayed? Touchup paint? Langka? Dr Colorchip? Any other ideas?

snagitseven 09-28-2015 07:11 PM

Ouch. Your sig indicates you have Xpel Ultimate. Can I assume this was in an area of the hood with no film coverage?

subterFUSE 09-28-2015 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by snagitseven (Post 24728314)
Ouch. Your sig indicates you have Xpel Ultimate. Can I assume this was in an area of the hood with no film coverage?

Xpel on my S6. Not on the wife's SQ5. Just Modesta coated.

snagitseven 09-28-2015 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by subterFUSE (Post 24728316)
Xpel on my S6. Not on the wife's SQ5. Just Modesta coated.

That's unfortunate - the Xpel Ultimate could have prevented the damage. In any case the scratch could be troubling to repair without repainting the hood. I've seen where Dr. Colorchip can be effective but not sure a gouge like that wouldn't be noticeable with that color. BTW, I've never had much luck with just touch up paint.

koobah 09-28-2015 08:07 PM

I've tried Dr Colorchip on small rock chips and it while it worked better than regular touch up, I was still able to spot the problem areas. Respray is the only way to properly fix it, however if you're absolutely opposed, I'd try OEM touch up paint and have it professionally applied, sanded and buffed.

uberwgn 09-29-2015 02:59 AM

Dr Colorchip will fix that. It will improve the damage by 70%.

Hockeymonkey 09-29-2015 06:25 AM

Professional spraying is best.
Since this is really deep the way I have repaired (try at your own risk) is to blue tape off edges, I use a very small amount of body filler and level with super fine wet sanding. Dry and then use the spray can of original touch up paint. Several sources on line. I test the spray can on some card board and then give a small light touch of spray. I find that the small aerosol spray paint looks better that the dealer supplier brush paint.
Again it is better than the touch up paint but because it is not perfectly blended (like at the body shop) you will always see it.

Yoshimura 09-29-2015 06:34 AM

Build up layers of paint until filled just above the surface. Carefully wet sand until flat.

Big D *suspended* 09-29-2015 07:43 AM

This guy makes it look easy, but this is how I would do it.

Bob Petruska 09-29-2015 09:15 AM

There are paint chip pros that come to dealers to touch up cars. Ask your dealer who are the best in the area and go there. You will never do as well as they can do..........