Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Summer vs. All-Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Summer vs. All-Season Tires

Getting time to replace the original tires on the Q5 TDI. I put snow tires on in winter, but curious what folks think about putting summer tires on vs all-season for the "warm" months. I live in the Washington, DC, area, so usually once it's Spring we're good to go (same for Fall, although we did have a surprise early snow this November).

I suspect most people use all-season just because these cars/SUVs aren't supersporty anyway, but looking for thoughts.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summer tires are typically a softer compound for maximum grip which usually equates to shorter tread life. For my money and driving style, all season are a much better bet and better suited to handle the occasional light snow and rain. Tire Rack and Discount Tire have customer reviews of a variety of tire attributes that can help you choose what's most important to you.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Take a look at the wet/dry traction ratings, I'll bet the all-season tires beat the hell out of the summer tires for wet traction.
Unless you're taking the car to the track...I can't see a reason to put "high performance summer tires" on a Q5, really. Especially if a lot of your driving is in that nightmare traffic.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Take a look at the wet/dry traction ratings, I'll bet the all-season tires beat the hell out of the summer tires for wet traction.
Unless you're taking the car to the track...I can't see a reason to put "high performance summer tires" on a Q5, really. Especially if a lot of your driving is in that nightmare traffic.
I can at least agree on the last bit...traffic. As for the wet traction, that is all over the place depending on the specific tire purchased, but good wet traction summer tires will do better than good wet traction all season tires in summer temperatures.

It is funny how these myths persist (“unless you’re taking the car to the track”), because it has been shown many times that summer tires are better in summer and winter in winter, from a performance and safety perspective.

But it might come down to other factors besides performance...that make an AS tire preferable, such as:
-tread life
-the possibility of using the tire in the off season
-expense of running two sets of tires in the first place

Since OP already has a winter set, all other things being equal, I’d recommend a summer tire that is great in the rain, not any more money than the comparable brand AS: the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
Old 02-25-2019, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

4S tires have evolved a great deal in the last 15 or so years.Unless you're after a true "High Performance" summer tire which is likely to be of little point on a Q5, then a "3 season" tire is a good choice.They will be much better on the margins - spring and fall, when you never really know what you're going to get.Michelin, Bridgestone make some 3 season tires that perform very well and will outlast any "summer" tire that I know of.
By the way congrats.on running winters in DC.In Quebec they're mandatory but I suspect you're a rare duck in your area.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll never go with all season again.They do neither great, just ok if your lucky. Summer tires for fun.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Note the weird nomenclature Michelin uses:

Pilot Sport 4S is their new summer tire
Pilot Sport A/S 3 is their all season tire

Pilot Super Sport is the summer tire the 4S updated but it is still available
Pilot Sport Cup 2 is their track tire
Old 02-25-2019, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
I'll never go with all season again.They do neither great, just ok if your lucky. Summer tires for fun.
‘Plus 1
Old 02-27-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's a CUV, put Michelin all seasons on it and forget about it. My fun car runs on summer tires, they last about 6000-8000 miles vs 40-60k on all seasons.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I've NEVER had summer tires that only got 8k miles. NEVER!

Quick Reply: Summer vs. All-Season Tires