Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rust spots on paint (Glacier White Metallic)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Techm8n
... Anyway, I'll first ask my Audi dealer service department .... if it's covered by warranty. .
You could ask, but rail dust accumulation, like bird droppings, would not be a warranty issue but they may wash/remove as a goodwill gesture.

Slingshot provided a nice, detailed explanation. There are threads in this forum and, several detailing sites that address this plague. Would add that rail dust is a 'collective term' for any metallic particles that show up all too well on light colored cars. Culprits include metallic disc brakes in addition to train rails and certain industries. So, you will likely see this -- unless you don't wash your cars and look to closely I live in the Cleveland area where there are steel plants and associated industry with trains that serve to transport, so I do a lot of swearing every time I wash my wife's white Lexus before pulling out the clay bar. Now, a white Macan S is the object of her desire - AAAARRRGGGHHH.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this product in Amazon.com. Has good reviews. I'll give this a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Iron-R...o+iron+remover

This stuff works great! It makes the clay process so much easier. The 1L bottle is a better price. I use about 500mL every spring.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Techm8n Thanks for posting the pic.I zoomed the hell out it and agree with all the good advice you've received so far.Ferrous material deposited on the surface.Audi paint is generally among the best so get these little suckers dragged off your surface (clay bar) and enjoy your machine.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Techm8n Thanks for posting the pic.I zoomed the hell out it and agree with all the good advice you've received so far.Ferrous material deposited on the surface.Audi paint is generally among the best so get these little suckers dragged off your surface (clay bar) and enjoy your machine.
I ordered the CarPro Iron X spray. I'm going to try it this weekend. I'll post back my results.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I had the same on my previous Q5 and it was caused by brake dusk. I had to have it cleaned at the dealers every springs (paint decontamination).

If I had bought a CPO, I would ask they clean the paint.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are a riot.....
CPO covers mechanical and electrical. Paint contamination (dirty) is in no way covered under CPO and your dealer doing anything other than directing you to a proper detail shop is completely a goodwill gesture.
they are NOT obligated to clean your paint.

you think they will shampoo my carpets in the spring because I got them dirty over the winter through CPO program????.....

lol
Old 01-18-2018, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlingshotSQ5
You guys are a riot.....
CPO covers mechanical and electrical. Paint contamination (dirty) is in no way covered under CPO and your dealer doing anything other than directing you to a proper detail shop is completely a goodwill gesture.
they are NOT obligated to clean your paint.

you think they will shampoo my carpets in the spring because I got them dirty over the winter through CPO program????.....

lol
The guys just bought it and it will be fair to expect the carpet to be clean when delivered.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoshimura
I
If I had bought a CPO, I would ask they clean the paint.
OP had his car transported - his claim is legit, however the owness is on the purchasor to point out issues before they leave the lot.I had my used CPO vehicle presented to me inside under flourescent lighting for me to inspect and approve before signing anything.This guy I quoted above is dillusional. And my sarcastic comment about after the fact dealer offerings remain.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found this product in Amazon.com. Has good reviews. I'll give this a try.

https://www.amazon.com/Carpro-Iron-R...o+iron+remover

Available as a 'soap' too... 'Snow Soap" Stinks but works great.

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-18-2018, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlingshotSQ5
OP had his car transported - his claim is legit, however the owness is on the purchasor to point out issues before they leave the lot.I had my used CPO vehicle presented to me inside under flourescent lighting for me to inspect and approve before signing anything.This guy I quoted above is dillusional. And my sarcastic comment about after the fact dealer offerings remain.
Ok, then I would not ask.

Quick Reply: Rust spots on paint (Glacier White Metallic)