Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rusted Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Is the rust on the Q5 calipers located on the caliper or on a cover?
I see no covers on the OP's original pics.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my Q5 back today from an extended weekend at service. Took advantage of the sweet loaner my SA hooked me up with...'12 A7 fully loaded. Anyways, same deal regarding rusted calipers from him...it's common for the area due to weather, but admitted that mine were a bit on the extreme side. He took pics and sent them to corporate for further evaluation, but I'm not expecting anything from this. So will wait and see. But we both agreed with most posters here that it could be related to a wheel cleaner chemical. Will have chat with the car wash guys on my next visit. Thanks for all the helpful responses!

Back to the A7...WOW, that's one frakkin' sweet ride. I think horsepower is rated at only 310 vs my Q5's 270, but acceleration was night and day. It felt much more powerful. I was up to 90 on the freeway before I realized it. Smooth, quiet, quick, effortless power. But ouch...$80k sticker fully-loaded!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

never seen merc amg with rusty calipers...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered silver caliper paint kit from Summit Racing. $19 bux + $5 shipping.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Painted Silverado's RED

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/.../Auto%20Stuff/

Painted my Silverado calipers with DUPLI-COLOR Red Caliper paint. Comes in many colors. Super Durable. Advance Auto has it on their website.
Will also be doing on the S5 in HI-GLOSS Black.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I used Duplicolor brush on caliper kit.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Duplicolor is what I got too. It arrived already (only took one day!). I chose silver for durability. When the paint peels or inevitably gets chipped by a sloppy worker, it will still be silver under the silver paint and hide the damage. Black looks good though. I wouldn't go with a flashy color and attract attention to these tractor-looking calipers and tiny rotors.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
...and attract attention to these tractor-looking calipers and tiny rotors.
Very true. The rotors do seem to get really small with larger wheels.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BigBluu
Back to the A7...WOW, that's one frakkin' sweet ride. I think horsepower is rated at only 310 vs my Q5's 270, but acceleration was night and day. It felt much more powerful. I was up to 90 on the freeway before I realized it. Smooth, quiet, quick, effortless power. But ouch...$80k sticker fully-loaded!
352 ft-lb of torque in the A7 vs. 243 ft-lb for the Q5's 3.2. They weigh close to the same
Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Rusted Calipes on Audi

Originally Posted by BigBluu
Both my vehicles are garaged at home and at work. And I take both to a high-end all-hand car wash at least once a month. They do a lot of exotics. Could their wheel cleaner be the culprit? I'd hate to think that since they work on lots of expensive cars. But then again, I have lots of swirl marks too and use them exclusively. I'll need to investigate further.
Wondering what you found out about this? My A6, has similarly rusted calipers though I live in San Jose. I've been to Tahoe a few times only with the car but so has my wife's MDX and her car has no signs of rust anywhere near the wheels/brakes.

Quick Reply: Rusted Brake Calipers