Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Secondary Air Pump Relay Location? Picture Included, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secondary Air Pump Relay Location? Picture Included, Help!

Hello All,

Need help trying to locate the relay for the secondary air pump. I have searched for countless hours but could not locate anything with a clear answer.
I added letters next to each relay to make it easier to call out.

Car Details: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2L Premium Plus
I am hoping the relay is bad. I checked the fuse and fan, they are both good. Car has over 140,000 miles on it, so extended fix warranty is out of question.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Old 05-29-2019, 11:40 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It is hard to tell....I only have some information but it does look like it is D in your picture.
On the diagram I have it shows E as the unused relay where you have a blank spot just above the red power wire.
Then D next to that which you have labeled as E, and so forth.
The Audi diagram has their C as the secondary air relay which corresponds with your D in your picture.
If it is any help it is listed as J299 in the wiring diagram.
It might have red/yellow, brown/green, red/white, and red/grey wires connected to it if you can see that at all.
FWIW as an alternative check, it looks like if you pull any of the other relays the car completely won't start as they are the main power rely, the starter relay and the fuel pump relay.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

It looks as though your labeled "D" relay is the Audi "C".

How about checking the S130 Secondary Air Pump fuse?

Old 05-29-2019, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska

You are awesome, just what I needed.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
It is hard to tell....I only have some information but it does look like it is D in your picture.
On the diagram I have it shows E as the unused relay where you have a blank spot just above the red power wire.
The Audi diagram has their C as the secondary air relay which corresponds with your D in your picture.
It might have red/yellow, brown/green, red/white, and red/grey wires connected to it if you can see that at all.
FWIW as an alternative check, it looks like if you pull any of the other relays the car completely won't start as they are the main power rely, the starter relay and the fuel pump relay.
Yes that helped out. Looks like a 4 pin relay, I have a spare one I am going to try out. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
It looks as though your labeled "D" relay is the Audi "C".

How about checking the S130 Secondary Air Pump fuse?
I did mange to find out the 50amp fuse was for the Secondary Air Pump during my Google research and that was the first item I checked, it is good.
Then I jumped the pump motor with 12volts and it powered on. I have a gut feeling it is carbon build up issue.Really hoping it is a bad relay though.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for your help everyone! Everything test out OK, looks like it is carbon build up and my vehicle is out of the 120,000 miles for the fix. Bummer!
Old 06-16-2023, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
I have a 2012 Q5 3.2L and I'm trying to replace the fuel pump relay but can't find a diagram that matches the picture posted above. Do you know which of these relays is for the fuel pump? Thanks
Old 06-16-2023, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,864 Likes on 1,584 Posts

What fuel pump relay? Why do you think there's a fuel pump relay? No such thing.

Quick Reply: Secondary Air Pump Relay Location? Picture Included, Help!