Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Serious braking issue in wet conditions

Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious braking issue in wet conditions

I purchased a 2014 Q5 in September. Over Christmas I drove from Canada to Florida and encountered some serious rain throughout Georgia. After driving for a while and having to apply the brakes suddenly, while keeping constant pressure on the pedal, the brakes released and then slammed on again themselves. At first i thought maybe this was the computer in the rain and i was able to replicate it several times. It wasn't due to pad purging because of the replication.

Fast forward a month later back in Canada driving to the ski hill, and the same this happens slowing from highway speed, this time its snowing and cold. the brakes release and slam on, jerking around the people in my car.

Has anyone encountered this? Audi couldn't diagnose it without replicating it and we haven't had wet conditions to test here. They did seem concerned. My fear is having to brake suddenly and the brakes releasing and slamming me into another vehicle...

Last edited by 14Q5; 03-01-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

could have been abrupt downshift of the transmission?
Old 02-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Sounds like ABS kicking in. Steve
Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's not a downshift.

It feels completely different than abs. It doesn't make the sound of the abs either. It makes a loud bang sound. Do you think the abs would completely release the brakes for a second then reapply them all at once? this would seem like a serious safety issue no? I thought it was abs until the two car guys with me thought I was trying to make their heads slam off the dash on purpose.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Q5
It's not a downshift.

It feels completely different than abs. It doesn't make the sound of the abs either. It makes a loud bang sound. Do you think the abs would completely release the brakes for a second then reapply them all at once? this would seem like a serious safety issue no? I thought it was abs until the two car guys with me thought I was trying to make their heads slam off the dash on purpose.
I would think it is a downshift - were you in Auto mode with the transmission. This is not how ABS works. I have had my brakes be slow to respond after the car wash but this is a gradual thing not: on - off - sudden on again.

This is a safety issue. Someone who is competent needs to look at this issue for you
Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

... constant pressure on the peddle, the brakes released...

I think I have identified the problem.

Try applying constant pressure on the brake pedal rather than the peddle. The peddle is not there to reduce any movement in the car. Peddle is used when you try and sell the car.

Do you want to try the pedal and see whether the problem persist?

... Sorry, slow afternoon with rain here in SoCal.

Last edited by dsackman; 03-01-2014 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The first time I had an ABS kick in (not on the Audi) was a "WTF?!" moment on wet concrete that was totally unexpected. Even if you are sure this is not the usual ABS action, there's nothing else (AFAIK) that can actuate the brakes except the ABS system, and it sounds like yours gave one hard pulse to the brakes, for whatever reason.

I would strongly suggest filing a complaint on the NHTSA.GOV web site, and letting Audi-US know that you are doing so. That's the only way to ensure, first, that there is a complaint on the record about your particular vehicle, and second, that there is reason to question the brake system on the entire model run.

The process is slow--but everyone gets motivated when there's an NHTSA complaint on file. Maybe it is somehow pilot error, i.e. if you clipped both pedals at once for a moment. Let them be motivated to find out.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Probably the auto-dry bake/EBA systems...

I purchased a 2014 Q5 in September. Over Christmas I drove from Canada to Florida and encountered some serious rain throughout Georgia. After driving for a while and having to apply the brakes suddenly, while keeping constant pressure on the peddle, the brakes released and then slammed on again themselves. At first i thought maybe this was the computer in the rain and i was able to replicate it several times. It wasn't due to pad purging because of the replication.

Fast forward a month later back in Canada driving to the ski hill, and the same this happens slowing from highway speed, this time its snowing and cold. the brakes release and slam on, jerking around the people in my car.

Has anyone encountered this? Audi couldn't diagnose it without replicating it and we haven't had wet conditions to test here. They did seem concerned. My fear is having to brake suddenly and the brakes releasing and slamming me into another vehicle...
may be the issue

"The mid-size five-passenger Audi Q5 luxury crossover and the Audi Q7 seven-passenger full-size luxury SUV both have auto-dry brakes as part of the braking system. In wet conditions, the disc wiping system gently pulses brakes to help remove water buildup. The most effective braking results from keeping the discs as dry as possible. In addition, the brake system is able to detect the driver’s attempt at full braking and can apply full stopping power when required. The advantage of this is that braking distance is significantly reduced."

Also if you hit the brakes hard, the the Electronic Brake Assist takes over automatically....

"By interpreting the speed and force with which the brake pedal is pushed, the system detects if the driver is trying to execute an emergency stop, and if the brake pedal is not fully applied, the system overrides and fully applies the brakes until the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) takes over to stop the wheels locking up."

Some day take your car out on a dry road and at about 35 mph wack the brake pedal hard and fast, and you will be surprised at the feeling of the car trying to bury itself into the road and stop. It's a great feeling!

Bottom line, one, or both of the above systems may be suspect.....
Old 03-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
may be the issue

"The mid-size five-passenger Audi Q5 luxury crossover and the Audi Q7 seven-passenger full-size luxury SUV both have auto-dry brakes as part of the braking system. In wet conditions, the disc wiping system gently pulses brakes to help remove water buildup. The most effective braking results from keeping the discs as dry as possible. In addition, the brake system is able to detect the driver’s attempt at full braking and can apply full stopping power when required. The advantage of this is that braking distance is significantly reduced."

Also if you hit the brakes hard, the the Electronic Brake Assist takes over automatically....

"By interpreting the speed and force with which the brake pedal is pushed, the system detects if the driver is trying to execute an emergency stop, and if the brake pedal is not fully applied, the system overrides and fully applies the brakes until the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) takes over to stop the wheels locking up."

Some day take your car out on a dry road and at about 35 mph wack the brake pedal hard and fast, and you will be surprised at the feeling of the car trying to bury itself into the road and stop. It's a great feeling!

Bottom line, one, or both of the above systems may be suspect.....
This could definitely be it. I had an issue on my tiguan that if i didnt purge the disc the brakes would slip.
At first i thought maybe this was the computer in the rain and i was able to replicate it several times. It wasn't due to pad purging because of the replication.
I think maybe its the emergency eba you referred too. However in these conditions it definitely isn't reducing my stopping distance. I will investigate your theory further. Thanks!!

Last edited by 14Q5; 03-20-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also watch our for the cruise control hitting the brakes "for you". I never even realized it would do that until pulling a trailer downhill at night and noticed the brake lights coming on by themselves.

Set the cruise for something like 50, then floor it up to 80 and let up. The brakes will self-apply rather firmly. I don't like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serious braking issue in wet conditions