Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Service due!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi Care is 800....subtract from that the price of the VCDS you will need for reset and it starts looking more attractive. if you dont already have tools for doing servive on your car you need to get that stuff too

i am a technician (although not automotive) so i am very mechanically inclined. however i just dont have time to do service on my car. it takes me maybe a week or two after i say "man the car looks pretty dirty" before i find time to stop and get out the soap and bucket.

i know there are folks who see a service warning or hear a noise and bust out their VCDS, check for codes and do service within minutes if need be.....for those who dont i think Audi care is a bargain
Old 10-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
Audi Care is 800....subtract from that the price of the VCDS you will need for reset and it starts looking more attractive. if you dont already have tools for doing servive on your car you need to get that stuff too

i am a technician (although not automotive) so i am very mechanically inclined. however i just dont have time to do service on my car. it takes me maybe a week or two after i say "man the car looks pretty dirty" before i find time to stop and get out the soap and bucket.

i know there are folks who see a service warning or hear a noise and bust out their VCDS, check for codes and do service within minutes if need be.....for those who dont i think Audi care is a bargain
Like I said. Audi will reset for you for free.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Like I said. Audi will reset for you for free.
yea but there was another post saying that another dealer wont do it unless they had actually done the service. whenever there are different scenarios at different dealers it indicates to me that AOA does not have a set policy so its up to your dealer

even if your dealer will do it, it means that after you take the time to do the service yourself, you STILL have to visit the delaership for reset which for many negates a large part of the DIY value

factor all that in and AudiCare is down around $234 now
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
yea but there was another post saying that another dealer wont do it unless they had actually done the service. whenever there are different scenarios at different dealers it indicates to me that AOA does not have a set policy so its up to your dealer

even if your dealer will do it, it means that after you take the time to do the service yourself, you STILL have to visit the delaership for reset which for many negates a large part of the DIY value

factor all that in and AudiCare is down around $234 now
Yes, doing the service myself is still cheaper and is less of an inconvenience TO ME than dropping my car off and getting a loaner. An oil change every 10k is ridiculous. Chances are you will trigger a low oil light before that comes around which means you need to stop into a dealer to get some added.
So you will need to stop in twice.

If you don't have the knowledge or the time that's up to you. It's ok not to be mechanically inclined. That's why AudiCare is offered. Not everyone knows what to do or how to do it correctly.

For example I just purchased OEM front rotors and pads for $315 delivered. The local dealer would have charged over $700 rotos/pads installed. It all adds up.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I'm certain the vast majority of Audi owners are not servicing their own cars. And it's probably best. The broad population simply won't have the time, temperament or training to properly care for their own car, and are better left to performing their daytime job
Old 10-14-2011, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
I'm certain the vast majority of Audi owners are not servicing their own cars. And it's probably best. The broad population simply won't have the time, temperament or training to properly care for their own car, and are better left to performing their daytime job
Well, my post has certainly gone a new direction. As for my original question, that sucks. I can't believe they did that.

As for Audi care, i did the math too at purchase and it wasn't worth it. One of the best things about 4 cylinder Audis is how easy they are to work on. I'm on my third one with the Q5 (99.5 A4 1.8T, 06 A4 2.0T, 11 Q5 2.0T). I do my own oil changes on each and they are all easy. Air filters, plugs, and brakes as well. Piece of cake and I'm not bothered by the hassle of making an appt at the dealer, drop off, pick up, not to mention all the money I save and I enjoy doing the work. IMHO.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone explain why Audi installed this service reminder without an easy option for the owners to turn it off such as the oil service interval? It is ridiculous that the owners have to bring it to the dealer to turn it off and get charged for it for every self oil change. I just don't fee it is right.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014Q5
Can someone explain why Audi installed this service reminder without an easy option for the owners to turn it off such as the oil service interval? It is ridiculous that the owners have to bring it to the dealer to turn it off and get charged for it for every self oil change. I just don't fee it is right.
Simple question.

Simple answer - $$$$
Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
Simple question.

Simple answer - $$$$
I tend to agree with this assessment. When I took our Q5 in for its initial service, the SA asked if I wanted them to resent the reminder. Being a new owner I answered yes, only to find out it was $30 for the "service". I wasn't happy, but had agreed to it. Seems like it should be included in their pricey service rates.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

The $20 Carista app and their $34 Bluetooth OBD2 module (special price for AW Members) will soon be able to reset the service due warning light. It apparently works in their latest beta version which should be released in a free app update soon.

AudiWorld Carista OBD Adapter Group Buy | Carista OBD2 - Vehicle Diagnostics and Customization

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-21-2015 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Service due!