Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Loud screeching noise on passenger side window

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Loud screeching noise on passenger side window

I was rolling down the car windows and the front passenger side has a very loud screeching noise when rolling down a little or all the way. No noise having it roll up.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same situation imdakine1 on my 2014 TDI immediately after delivery. I ran the window up and down maybe a dozen times and I've never had the problem again in 10,000 miles.

It resolved itself before I could get to Audi and have them look at it. Hope you have a similar non-issue.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I had the same situation imdakine1 on my 2014 TDI immediately after delivery. I ran the window up and down maybe a dozen times and I've never had the problem again in 10,000 miles.

It resolved itself before I could get to Audi and have them look at it. Hope you have a similar non-issue.
I too had this issue right after delivery, but now it seems to have disappeared. I think it's just the window regulator components becoming dry from lack of use. After some use the components become lubricated, which eliminates the noise.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks Q5 TDI and B... I happened to be about 2 miles from an Audi Dealership and contacted them... They initially said that the Q5 had a bulletin for window noise but I think that was from window noises from the side mirrors (I recall another thread talking about side mirror noises or wind issues)...

The audi tech guy came out and initially thought it might be due to me having a window tint on my driver or passenger side which I don't have yet... I was thinking about putting it on next week but may reconsider. --- Has anyone had issues due to window tint?

He said that it could be dust, sand, dirt that gets in between the window and in the door. I live by the beach and park my car outside quite a bit. He said to try to not roll down the window when they are dirty or dusty to prevent this from happening...

Finally they said they would add lube to make it smoother and so far no issues.

I believe it is due to getting dry, not using it, and also the sand and dust. However, I've never experienced this with other cars before and have lived near the beach for 10 years and mainly park my other vehicles outside.

Hoping it doesn't return. Doesn't seem to be a major issue. The dealer said to monitor it and bring it back if it acts up again!
Old 09-11-2014, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default It's the outside lower window to door rubber seal....

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I was rolling down the car windows and the front passenger side has a very loud screeching noise when rolling down a little or all the way. No noise having it roll up.

Any thoughts?
I had the the problem when new. Proved that it was the rubber seal when it made the noise by mist spraying the window with water using a spray bottle and the noise went away until it dried. I coated the side windows with Rain-X, ran them up and down a few times and that nasty noise is all gone....
Old 09-11-2014, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting my front driver & passenger side windows tinted but and having second thoughts as I don't want the dealer to blame my tint for the screeching noise I heard / may hear again.

Has anyone had issues with tinting windows and screeching noise?
Old 09-11-2014, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both front windows are tinted on our Q5 and we've never heard a peep!
Old 09-12-2014, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Front windows are 3M tinted on mine as well, I've had no issues.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks. The dealer mentioned that the windows are tight and sometimes get dry and since I live near the beach dust, sand, dirt can make the screech a bigger issue.

I definitely want to get the tint done as I think it would be good uv protection and cut down on the sun/heat.

Hoping the dealers don't blame my tint for this screeching noise if it persists in the future.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately, this issue still persists. My windows only make noise when I roll them down not up. I can tell that it's a tight fit from the window and the rubber... The initial dealer statement saying to roll them down only when they are clean isn't exactly a solution. My car isn't dirty but I live the beach and does get some normal mist and maybe some dust but it is not coated with dirt, sand, etc....

Any other suggestions on what the issue might be?

Quick Reply: Loud screeching noise on passenger side window