Side Assist Not Effective - AudiWorld Forums



Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Side Assist Not Effective

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
lcs
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Default Side Assist Not Effective

Anyone here find the side assist giving false signals randomly? I am wondering if there is anything wrong with mine. There are no fault codes or anything but every time Im on one of the highways near me (407), the side assist would light up when there are no cars around me. I also find the side assist to be too conservative when there are two car length worth of gap when changing lanes. Mercedes Side Assist has this dead on. Anyone on the same boat with me? Thanks
lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
JaXeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcs View Post
Anyone here find the side assist giving false signals randomly? I am wondering if there is anything wrong with mine. There are no fault codes or anything but every time Im on one of the highways near me (407), the side assist would light up when there are no cars around me. I also find the side assist to be too conservative when there are two car length worth of gap when changing lanes. Mercedes Side Assist has this dead on. Anyone on the same boat with me? Thanks
I've been having issues with side assist in my SQ5 where it's indicating that there's a car in my driver's side blind spot when there isn't a car anywhere near me.
I brought this up to the SA at my 8k service, but they found nothing.
According to the service report they did a "recalibration" and the problem seemed to go away for a month or so, but now I see that it's starting to act up again... Very strange (and annoying).

In my experience, I don't have to be anywhere near the 407 for this to happen.
JaXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
lcs
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaXeN View Post
I've been having issues with side assist in my SQ5 where it's indicating that there's a car in my driver's side blind spot when there isn't a car anywhere near me.
I brought this up to the SA at my 8k service, but they found nothing.
According to the service report they did a "recalibration" and the problem seemed to go away for a month or so, but now I see that it's starting to act up again... Very strange (and annoying).

In my experience, I don't have to be anywhere near the 407 for this to happen.
Glad to hear someone on the same boat as me. My SA said he never heard of that before which I find odd since A6s have this problem for a while. I will tell my SA to do a calibration next time I go in for service and hope for the best. The blind spot assist in the mercedes is the best Ive seen to date, mainly cause I can see their lights on the side mirrors. Once the car reaches the side of their bumper their light would come on. I find the q5s overly conservative and sometimes causes more harm than good when there is enough space to merge and the light blinks at me.
lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 39
Default

You guys don't have the tow hitch do you? If so could something be messed up?
dmicah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 751
Default

No issues with mine.....and I have the factory tow hitch.
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 AM   #6
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
JaXeN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 958
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicah View Post
You guys don't have the tow hitch do you? If so could something be messed up?
No trailer hitch here.
JaXeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
lcs
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmicah View Post
You guys don't have the tow hitch do you? If so could something be messed up?
No trailer hitch for me as well
lcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Default

No problems here. Haven't noticed many false alarms.

I've also been very impressed with the logic in the SA. It's not simply a blind spot detector, but a blind spot predictor.

In other words, it tells you if there is likely to be something in your blind spot in the next few seconds. For example, if a car is passing me fast, it will alert when the car is still 4-5 car lengths away. Whereas if the car is creeping up, it will alert when it's only 1-2 car lengths away. Also, it tends not to alert when I'm passing a car.

DISCLAIMER: SA is NOT a replacement for turning your head and checking your blind spot. It is simply additional information. It is the same as Traffic Collision Avoidance Systems in aircraft, which are not a replacement for "see and avoid", but DO improve safety immensly

</soapbox dismount>
amstrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:58 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
DennisMitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Long Island, NY, USA
Posts: 1,695
Default

I have found that when entering or exiting a highway ramp and the directional signal is activated, the lane change indicator sometimes flashes bright. I believe that the sensitivity is increased when the directional signal is activated and the sensors pick up stationery objects in the entrance / exit ramp such as road markers or the grass median changing to pavement.

This is what I have observed so far. FWIW.
DennisMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMitchell View Post
I believe that the sensitivity is increased when the directional signal is activated and the sensors pick up stationery objects in the entrance / exit ramp such as road markers or the grass median changing to pavement.
The sensitivity is not increased. The bright flash is just the combination of the standard warning (maybe false positive in this case) with the turn signal active or turning toward the side with the alert. The bright flash happens to me frequently when I'm in the right lane of a two lane left turn. I'm turning into a blind spot alert.
amstrad is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Daily Build..My S6, the story and the questions vwleadfoot Audi Original "S" Cars 4 12-24-2015 06:07 AM
Survey: 2013 CPO price? scopeman07 A7 3 09-09-2015 03:27 AM
Audi Other 2011 Audi S5 Prestige, Drive Select, CPO Warranty Vrrooom Vehicles For Sale 2 09-08-2015 03:06 PM
Checklist before purchasing 2014 A6 TDI... bebopdeluxe A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion 3 09-05-2015 04:11 PM
Just checking to make sure I'm seeing what I think I am. bilbo6209 A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion 10 09-04-2015 04:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:02 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send