Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Side mirrors randomly went up and stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side mirrors randomly went up and stuck

2016 Q5. When I came out to my car this weekend, both side mirrors were retracted up. My car has never done this, and I didn't even think I had this feature. I dont have any options for this feature in my MMI, nor is it on my side mirror selector switch. No combo of locking/unlocking or getting the car up to speed has worked. Physically trying to push them down also isnt working. Please help.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jkmumford
2016 Q5. When I came out to my car this weekend, both side mirrors were retracted up. My car has never done this, and I didn't even think I had this feature. I dont have any options for this feature in my MMI, nor is it on my side mirror selector switch. No combo of locking/unlocking or getting the car up to speed has worked. Physically trying to push them down also isnt working. Please help.
Did you try going into the sub menus of the MMI car settings?
Old 04-29-2019, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did; nothing in my sub menus list anything about side mirrors (based on research the spot where it should be, under "Car, Vehicle settings" doesnt give me that option)
Old 04-29-2019, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
Did you try going into the sub menus of the MMI car settings?
I did; nothing in my sub menus list anything about side mirrors (based on research the spot where it should be, under "Car, Vehicle settings" doesnt give me that option)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

What does your mirror adjustment ***** look like? I'm referring to the driver's side door panel, check if you have a position that has got a circular arrow, if so, try moving the **** there a few times while parked and then drive as normal, it works for me when my mirrors decide to go on strike.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uncleiggy
What does your mirror adjustment ***** look like? I'm referring to the driver's side door panel, check if you have a position that has got a circular arrow, if so, try moving the **** there a few times while parked and then drive as normal, it works for me when my mirrors decide to go on strike.
No dice. I just have the "left defrost right"; nothing at the 6 o'clock position.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No dice. I just have the "left defrost right"; nothing at the 6 o'clock position.
Well, if your mirrors folded then they can be unfolded, time for some VCDS action, or even Carista, what I'd try is enabling mirror folding/unfolding on car lock/unlock.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well, if your mirrors folded then they can be unfolded, time for some VCDS action, or even Carista, what I'd try is enabling mirror folding/unfolding on car lock/unlock.
Thank you; thats sadly not an option in my MMI, which is silent on anything for the side mirrors.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thank you; thats sadly not an option in my MMI, which is silent on anything for the side mirrors.
My bad, I took it for granted that you knew what VCDS/Carista were. Basically both are gadgets that plug into your ODBII port and enable you to program your car, some settings are hidden by the manufacturer and with these tools you can enable them. If you are not too savvy then I'd try the (inexpensive) Carista dongle, if it doesn't work it's still a very useful tool, you can check it out here: https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/audi/q5/8r
Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My bad, I took it for granted that you knew what VCDS/Carista were. Basically both are gadgets that plug into your ODBII port and enable you to program your car, some settings are hidden by the manufacturer and with these tools you can enable them. If you are not too savvy then I'd try the (inexpensive) Carista dongle, if it doesn't work it's still a very useful tool, you can check it out here: https://caristaapp.com/vehicles/audi/q5/8r
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Side mirrors randomly went up and stuck