Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Snow chains?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow chains?

Heading to the snow this weekend- I know where I'm going (mammoth) depending on conditions they may REQUIRE me to put on chains. Other times I just have to show that I have chains with me.

So 2 questions- I have heard that the Q5 shouldn't need chains. Ever. I have all condition tires on (Conti ExtremeContact DWS, brand new), so they are not 'snow' tires. I think. Im from socal so what do I know about snow So should I ever need chains?

And second, if I DO need chains, do they go on the front or back wheels? Believe it or not I asked the dealer and they didn't know. That socal thing I guess.

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It's unlikely that you'll need snow chains, you can see where I'm located and no one around here ever uses chains. That being said, there's no telling what the Ca Highway Patrol will require. If you decide to take chains you'll be better off if you have a chain for each of the four wheels- chaining up just the back defeats the whole purpose of have an all wheel drive vehicle.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by normp
It's unlikely that you'll need snow chains, you can see where I'm located and no one around here ever uses chains. That being said, there's no telling what the Ca Highway Patrol will require. If you decide to take chains you'll be better off if you have a chain for each of the four wheels- chaining up just the back defeats the whole purpose of have an all wheel drive vehicle.
Yup. The CHP can be a bit painful here in CA. And I totally agree- chaining up the back defeats the purpose of awd. But then again, chaining up all 4 defeats it even more

It's looking like no snow when I'm driving up... so should be good. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same boat here. Have a new Q5 and will make Mammoth runs.

What does owners manual say about snow chains?

What CHP might want is that you show you have them. Most of my friends get into town on just 4WD, with no chains.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Snow chains - why ??
Believe it or not I'm not even in this case, should snow chains

Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Why don't you give them a call today to ask if you will need snow chains on an Audi Q5 this weekend. Most likely they will say no and it saves you the hassle.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
Why don't you give them a call today to ask if you will need snow chains on an Audi Q5 this weekend. Most likely they will say no and it saves you the hassle.
The Sierras weather conditions can change hourly. No one from CHP will tell you chains aren't required unless its very clear that it will be warm and sunny.

I've seen it change from sunny to blizzard in a very quick time there.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by meesr
The Sierras weather conditions can change hourly. No one from CHP will tell you chains aren't required unless its very clear that it will be warm and sunny.

I've seen it change from sunny to blizzard in a very quick time there.
Good to know - I've never heard of that before so I guess it's a California law. Law or not, they probably aren't necessary as I've never seen anyone use them in the Mount Washington area in New Hampshire which is easily the most dangerous mountain in the US (read: 231mph winds)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I carry snow chains when I go skiing no matter what. I have never had to put them on, so far. Both of our SUVs are AWD. CHP can be a pain in the a$$ so I'd carry them incase they ask.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CHP will turn you away if they are doing chain checks and you don't have them. Doesn't matter if you have the best snow tires on. My advice is to buy a cheap used set so you can present them if needed. I keep ours in the spare tire compartment, but I put my spare set of wheels with nokian wrg2's whenever we head up.

Quick Reply: Snow chains?