Software Upgrade for Steering - AudiWorld Forums



Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Software Upgrade for Steering

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 20
Default Software Upgrade for Steering

Today I had my 8000K service done in Canada on my 2013 Q5 Prem Plus 2.0....

Issue #1: They said there was a software update to take care of a steering recall.

I have to say, the car drives literally 100% different and I'm not sure I like it. It's SUPER loose. I felt driving down the highway I had to be so on the ball as the car wheel would simply move back and forth with no tension.

Doesn't feel like a great upgrade or fix. Is there somewhere I can read about what was done and why?

Issue #2: Would they have fooled with my wipers at all? On the way home a truck sprayed some slushy snowy mud on me. When the wipers kicked in, there was a giant spot directly in my field of vision that the wipers just wouldnt wipe. It's like they were adjusted or something.

I had to pull over to wipe the mud off. Obviously not ideal.

Any ideas?
canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
AudiWorld Expert
 
Reggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Fort Collins Colorado
Posts: 31,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Today I had my 8000K service done in Canada on my 2013 Q5 Prem Plus 2.0....

Issue #1: They said there was a software update to take care of a steering recall.

I have to say, the car drives literally 100% different and I'm not sure I like it. It's SUPER loose. I felt driving down the highway I had to be so on the ball as the car wheel would simply move back and forth with no tension.

Doesn't feel like a great upgrade or fix. Is there somewhere I can read about what was done and why?

Issue #2: Would they have fooled with my wipers at all? On the way home a truck sprayed some slushy snowy mud on me. When the wipers kicked in, there was a giant spot directly in my field of vision that the wipers just wouldnt wipe. It's like they were adjusted or something.

I had to pull over to wipe the mud off. Obviously not ideal.

Any ideas?
Did you try using the windshield wash to remove the mud. Could have just been so oily that the blades could not remove it.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gainesville,TX Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 1,063
Default

Washer fluid sprayers on Audi's suck!!! My 2010 S5 and now my 2014 SQ5 have the worst sprayers on the market. I don't know why Audi thinks the sprayers need to work at 5 million psi and shoot 3 streams. And nice mist would work.
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New England
Posts: 902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
Washer fluid sprayers on Audi's suck!!! My 2010 S5 and now my 2014 SQ5 have the worst sprayers on the market. I don't know why Audi thinks the sprayers need to work at 5 million psi and shoot 3 streams. And nice mist would work.
LOL and as soon as the nozzle is mis-aligned, it shoots fluid like a water gun straight over your roof onto the person driving behind you.
Parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #5
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
And nice mist would work.

Yes it is nice but ....
Try this system at -15C = 5F degrees at a speed of 70-80 km/h
spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
AudiWorld Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 415
Default

Disable the DSR and the steering will feel much tighter.
tomaszp72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
LOL and as soon as the nozzle is mis-aligned, it shoots fluid like a water gun straight over your roof onto the person driving behind you.
Just last week I stopped into the dealership to get the passenger side nozzles adjusted. One jet was spraying a stream in the air off to the right of the car.

It was a busy morning (bitter cold with some snow) but they got a tech to look at it, make the adjustment and I was out in 5-10 minutes. A small gesture, but appreciated.
Q5 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #8
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gainesville,TX Colorado Springs,CO
Posts: 1,063
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q5 Bob View Post
Just last week I stopped into the dealership to get the passenger side nozzles adjusted. One jet was spraying a stream in the air off to the right of the car.

It was a busy morning (bitter cold with some snow) but they got a tech to look at it, make the adjustment and I was out in 5-10 minutes. A small gesture, but appreciated.
I will have then look at mine at my 5k service.
JBDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
JGA5Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH Eastside
Posts: 780
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDinTX View Post
I will have then look at mine at my 5k service.

I notice that the upper right part of my windshield doesn't get much fluid. It's usually still salt covered after cleaning attempts. Are you guys saying that this can be adjusted? That would be nice.

I think my steering felt much better after the update. I felt the notchiness and was frequently correcting trying to go straight.
JGA5Cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
AudiWorld Super User
 
spijun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Sarajevo /BiH
Posts: 3,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGA5Cab View Post
I notice that the upper right part of my windshield doesn't get much fluid. It's usually still salt covered after cleaning attempts. Are you guys saying that this can be adjusted? That would be nice.

I think my steering felt much better after the update. I felt the notchiness and was frequently correcting trying to go straight.
Adjusting jets





spijun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY Remote start Q5 IntheQ5 Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion 27 06-09-2016 12:37 PM
New Q7 2015 TDI slight shimmy dealer calls it road feedback? Quetzal Wheels & Tires Discussion 3 09-23-2015 07:50 PM
SQ5 problems after recall chasw Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion 7 09-21-2015 08:04 PM
Checklist before purchasing 2014 A6 TDI... bebopdeluxe A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion 3 09-05-2015 04:11 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:59 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send