Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Spare tire question

Old 09-03-2015, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire question

i check out the subwoofer in the trunk and notice that spare tire doesn't have any air???
Does yours come with air at the right psi? It should, right?
Old 09-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audio_video_guy
i check out the subwoofer in the trunk and notice that spare tire doesn't have any air???
A 12v powered compressor is stored behind the left rear panel in the cargo area.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is a collapsible spare that takes up less room deflated.

As above the compressor is in the left side compartment as detailed in your owners manual.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks a lot guys.
Learn something new every day. This is my first car having built in compressor!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a lot guys.
Learn something new every day. This is my first car having built in compressor!!!
Its not built in. Its just one of those portable ones.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anbody use it yet? How long does it take to fill up the spare?
Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
anbody use it yet? How long does it take to fill up the spare?
Couple minutes or so from what I recall. Didn't time it when I was forced to use it a while back, but it wasn't too terrible. I still miss full-size spares, but at least we've got something to swap out.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

took about 8 minutes to get to the full pressure. The compressor was pretty darn noisy and got quite warm as well. At least it wasn't raining while filling the tire. Definitely interesting to watch it inflate with all the popping and contorting going on.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hilld
took about 8 minutes to get to the full pressure. The compressor was pretty darn noisy and got quite warm as well. At least it wasn't raining while filling the tire. Definitely interesting to watch it inflate with all the popping and contorting going on.
Yeah..I used to work in the tire business..back in the 80's. Some cars had the inflatable spares..like ours..sort of before the mini-temp spare…The cars with the inflatables didn't have a compressor though.they had a can of compressed air…kind of like a bomb in your trunk! Saw several folks drive in with the inflatable not inflated!..Now that is a scary spare.

They are fun to watch inflate though!
Old 09-05-2015, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Those compressors are all disposable, literally. They use a Teflon ring instead of lubricant oil for the piston, and if runs too long, too often, or simply in weather that it too hot, it melts and loses compression. In theory it will be good enough, with careful use, for one owner and the car. Maybe two owners, who knows.

The flat tire will not fit back in the "spare" space, you'd better have room in the car.

And the spare will not fit back in the place it came from, until you've give it some hours to fully deflate and collapse again. The rubber doesn't just snap back down. So...

RTFM, finding and using the tools won't be easy either.

An automatic sealing and inflating kit (from Slime or others) is inexpensive, much simpler, and actually the same thing that Audi supplies for cars like the R8, which ship with no spare at all. Of course the Audi kit uses black goo instead of green or white, and can't be found at WalMart or Amazon.

FWIW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare tire question