Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Splash Guards

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splash Guards

Yes they are the Audi splash guards, OEM parts. I had them installed at my local repair/body shop. The picture makes them look pretty good but there is a slight gap where they meet the body, nothing can get thru however because they are kind of double sided so to speak. All in all I am happy, really wanted some protection. I will try and get the front picture to post as well.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Splash Guards Front

Here is a picture of the front installed. Again a little gap toward where it makes the turn but nothing can get thru due to being like double sided.
Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Folks,

I'm actually in the process of *removing* my splash guards. The previous owner of my 2010 had them installed, but I don't like the way the look against Ibis White. I'm also paranoid because the guards themselves seem to cause more damage to the paint than anything else. They tend to scratch the paint along the outside edges where the plastic rubs against the paint. The front guards, in particular, seem very loose on the car. They were installed by an Audi dealer, so I have to assume they were installed correctly. Nonetheless, if you grab one of the front guards and wiggle it you can see how it rubs against the paint quite easily.

My question... After removing the guards, is there anything that needs to go back in its place? The back of the rear wheel well seems flimsy now. It seems like it should be secured to the rear bumper somehow. I have a feeling the original brackets were removed and discarded when the guards were first installed.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Scott
Attached Images     
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, is all that just for rain protection?

Maybe just not my taste, but those things are big, bulky, and look completely out of place on the S-line. Hideous is an understatment in this situation.

But if it suits your purpose and you like them, then that's cool. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scottndsky
Hi Folks,

I'm actually in the process of *removing* my splash guards. The previous owner of my 2010 had them installed, but I don't like the way the look against Ibis White. I'm also paranoid because the guards themselves seem to cause more damage to the paint than anything else. They tend to scratch the paint along the outside edges where the plastic rubs against the paint. The front guards, in particular, seem very loose on the car. They were installed by an Audi dealer, so I have to assume they were installed correctly. Nonetheless, if you grab one of the front guards and wiggle it you can see how it rubs against the paint quite easily.

My question... After removing the guards, is there anything that needs to go back in its place? The back of the rear wheel well seems flimsy now. It seems like it should be secured to the rear bumper somehow. I have a feeling the original brackets were removed and discarded when the guards were first installed.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Scott
There are screws you removed to take the splash guards off that need to be reused. The OEM splash guards use existing holes under the body and behind the wheel wells. They also use existing holes attaching the wheel well liners to the body.

I mounted mine after seeing how much crud the front wheels can throw up on the body. With a bit of care, they fit the lower contour of the body perfectly. My wife and I like them.