Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Splash protectors/mud flaps, Running Boards, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Splash protectors/mud flaps, Running Boards, etc.

If you have ever driven behind a car or truck when it is raining, you know the benefits of mud flaps; without them the cars behind you are sprayed with a nasty dose of road water. With mud flaps installed the spray of road water is greatly minimized. I doubt most Q5 owners are regularly driving through actual mud so protecting your own Q5 from mud spray is rarely the cause for installing this option.

Aesthetics aside, is there a REAL reason to add mud flaps to the Q5? Ditto for Running Boards...?
Old 08-03-2011, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not in our case on the Q...
it's low enough for all to get in easily, and it never rains here in Texus

And the wife would never let the Q's mudflaps on her nice Q - very 'utilitarian' she said, not for her car...

now on my other taller vehicle, running boards are a necessity and mud flaps would be a nicety...
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got them for the Q5 because I do a fair amount of motorcycle towing in an open trailer. They limit the road rash on the bikes.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya the mud flaps in my opinion, don't look that great on the Q5, so aesthetically i wouldn't want them on my car, but like the others said, if you plan on towing anything and dont want to damage the items in any way it'll prolly be a good idea to get the flaps. As far as running boards, our Q5s aren't as tall as some larger suvs so it doesn't make getting in difficult even for shorter people. But if you do plan on putting things on the rof racks of your Q5, it'd prolly be a good idea to get the boards to make it easier to reach up there.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I studied pics and decided the mudflaps look pretty good on white (and black) but not as good (to me)on some other colors. They absolutely keep the vehicle much cleaner and help protect the boat or whatever else I tow. My wife wants them for her A4 Cab but it seems they aren't made for the B7 only the B6.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick feedback. You all have helped me make up my mind: I am going to pass on the splash protectors.

I think many of these accessories (I’ve been flipping through the Q5 accessories brochure) depend on geography and to a lesser extent on one’s lifestyle. If I lived in an area where it rained a lot or I regularly drove off road the mud flaps would make sense. The front Fascia and rear Valance (steel skid plates) are things I would definitely want if I were inclined to go off the beaten path. Similarly, if I lived in a state like Florida or Texas, I probably would spring for the ventilated seats.

Given my urban life in a mild climate and my inclination for paved roads, I’m gonna pass on some of these frills though I gotta admit they make the Q5 look wicked handsome. I HAVE decided to spring for the steel Exhaust tips. What can I say? A little vanity goes a long way. ☺

http://microsites.audiusa.com/ngw/10...20Brochure.pdf

Last edited by BayGBM; 08-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.