Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Chrome Exhaust Tips - Corrosion / Carbon Buildup?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's the pics, but the OP looks like normal carbon build up on any neglected exhaust tips. Just go after them with Blue Magic and a cotton rag. I've brought dozens of tips that like that back to new. Don't let them get that bad, and it won't take more than a 5 min polish each wash.

The second post looks odd. I wouldn't be confident with those.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:51 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by jsilas
That's plasti-dip? It actually looks fantastic, and just like the OEM Sports exhaust. Which dip did you use?
Yep, thanks, regular rattle can of basic black plastidip. 5000+ miles winter and summer. No problem.
OE sport is actually black chrome. This is flat black, pic just looks shiny for some reason. Still looks better than the rotted chrome which was btw not neglected and constantly looked after but still became pitted in short time.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gk1
Yep, thanks, regular rattle can of basic black plastidip. 5000+ miles winter and summer. No problem.
OE sport is actually black chrome. This is flat black, pic just looks shiny for some reason. Still looks better than the rotted chrome which was btw not neglected and constantly looked after but still became pitted in short time.
Thanks for the reply. Did you remove the tips to spray them, or just mask around them?
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Their polished stainless steel not chrome,at least on my 2015 SQ5.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a car detail fanatic and I use a paper towel with Simple Green and wipe out the inside of the pipes once a week on my 2016 SQ5 and it works great. So far no corrosion at all
Old 07-16-2017, 07:10 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by jsilas
Thanks for the reply. Did you remove the tips to spray them, or just mask around them?
Just mask it. That's the beauty of plastidip. Any overspray can be rubbed off. Also you can remove and redo if you want. I actually tried their "smoke" color first but didn't like it so just peeled it off and used black instead.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
I'm a car detail fanatic and I use a paper towel with Simple Green and wipe out the inside of the pipes once a week on my 2016 SQ5 and it works great. So far no corrosion at all
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the Simple Green this morning and it worked great. Had to scrub a little, but if I do this every other week I'm guessing the exhaust tips will just wipe clean with no scrubbing.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi auntrout. Glad it worked for you. Yes, super easy clean. Sometimes I'll take an old toothbrush to scrub a bit as well to get the black exhaust dust off and then wipe clean with a paper towel. I usually clean mine out once a week.
Old 07-17-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SQ5guyinSoCal
Hi auntrout. Glad it worked for you. Yes, super easy clean. Sometimes I'll take an old toothbrush to scrub a bit as well to get the black exhaust dust off and then wipe clean with a paper towel. I usually clean mine out once a week.
It was a great tip SQ5guyinSoCal. If I clean the tips once week it will definitely just be a spray and wipe. I hadn't clean the tips for about 6 weeks and a little scrubbing with a paper towel did the job. Do you put anything on the tips after you clean them? Thanks again.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

WD didn't work and neither did simple green but 0000 steel wool worked great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 Chrome Exhaust Tips - Corrosion / Carbon Buildup?