Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Using SD card in B&O stereo

Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using SD card in B&O stereo

After reading posts that say an SD card will give better quality sound than an iPod, I was wondering about a couple of things.

1. With the SD card, do you have to listen to all songs in the order recorded, or can you mix them?

2. How do you bring then to the SD card from iTunes? Is it basically just like burning a CD, or more like uploading the songs to a new iPod?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

I use SD cards all the time. It's pretty easy really. I usually upload the cards to the system's hard drive (jukebox).

As far as randomizing songs, you have to kind of improvise. The system gives options on playback, such as by artist, by album, or by song title. I use song title and it plays all the songs on the hard drive in alphabetical order. It's not exactly an elegant solution, but it works. It's also convenient to find a specific song easily by song title.

Putting songs on the card is fairly easy. Just copy the music files to your SD card, like transferring ordinary document files. I would make sure to use MP3 files. I'm not sure if the system uses AAC or WMA files. MP3s are easiest to deal with.

I also keep non-music (audio books), or specialty music (Christmas) that I don't want in the normal mix, on an SD card I keep in one of the slots.

When I want to add music to the jukebox, I take an sd card, put a folder on it called "upload" and copy the files to that folder. Then it's easy to upload the all files from the upload folder to the jukebox.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the ipod in the glove box and two 16g sd cards in our 2011 filled with music....

I like the sd cards in that they are better sounding to me, but the wife choses the ipod where she built her own playlists....

Personally, I just let it play in whatever order it does, because I don't put any songs on there I don't like
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Normally I listen to Sirius, but lately the sound quality has seemed particularly poor. Almost like it is under water on some channels.

I have an iPod in the glove compartment, but wasn't sure if it was worth the bother to burn songs on an SD card. On the iPod, I wish that it wasn't necessary every time I start it up to set it to "Mix". It resets every time I shut the car down.

Thanks for your input. I might buy a SD card and give it a try.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the SD reader is fantastic, I have two cards with music so I always have at least one in the car. Quality is good, folders/albums are easy to browse on the system.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SDCEB
Normally I listen to Sirius, but lately the sound quality has seemed particularly poor. Almost like it is under water on some channels.

I have an iPod in the glove compartment, but wasn't sure if it was worth the bother to burn songs on an SD card. On the iPod, I wish that it wasn't necessary every time I start it up to set it to "Mix". It resets every time I shut the car down.

Thanks for your input. I might buy a SD card and give it a try.
Hi -

We apologize for your experience. How often does your radio sound like it's under water? What channels have this experience? Have you tried refreshing our signal to your radio? If you continue to have problems with your radio, feel free to send us an email with your account/contact info to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we'll be happy to troubleshoot with you there.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Sirius is monitoring.... ?!?

How about telling your phone people to not lie when they are trying to get a customer to reup ?

I asked specifically on more than one occasion and even called back to verify if this yearly payment includes traffic ? and every time I was told Yes....

Well, you got me on this one cuz the wife wanted sirius, but you lost out on the two cars I drive !!!
Old 11-19-2012, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

1. With the SD card, do you have to listen to all songs in the order recorded, or can you mix them?
You can set the MMI to play in random order. It stays within the folder you're in, but randomizes the order. So, lay out the folders on the SD card the way you want things grouped together, and you can then randomize them.

2. How do you bring then to the SD card from iTunes? Is it basically just like burning a CD, or more like uploading the songs to a new iPod?
You can directly copy music files out of the directory where your iTunes library is stored. The MMI only supports a limited selection of file formats, but the AAC format that you get from the iTunes store is one of them -- it'll play them directly without any conversion required.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SiriusXM
Hi -

We apologize for your experience. How often does your radio sound like it's under water? What channels have this experience? Have you tried refreshing our signal to your radio? If you continue to have problems with your radio, feel free to send us an email with your account/contact info to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we'll be happy to troubleshoot with you there.

Thanks,
SiriusXM Digital Care Team
I appreciate the response. I have noticed this in varying degrees on different channels, in the last few weeks. It sounds so poor that I wind up turning to my iPod, or local HD FM. I would say that on the channels that I listen to, it is worst on The Bridge, 60's, 70's, Classic Rewind and The Highway. I suspect it is because the signal is over-compressed.

I don't know how to refresh the signal. I have had XM on several prior cars and never had this problem.

Thanks for your taking time to respond!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I appreciate the response. I have noticed this in varying degrees on different channels, in the last few weeks. It sounds so poor that I wind up turning to my iPod, or local HD FM. I would say that on the channels that I listen to, it is worst on The Bridge, 60's, 70's, Classic Rewind and The Highway. I suspect it is because the signal is over-compressed.

I don't know how to refresh the signal. I have had XM on several prior cars and never had this problem.

Thanks for your taking time to respond!

No worries; that's what we are here for. Here's a link on how to refresh our signal: https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/ap...4020/kw/signal
If you have any difficulties, send us an email to sxm_help@siriusxm.com and we'll be able to assist you there.

-SiriusXM Digital Care Team

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using SD card in B&O stereo