Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 engine/brake concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 engine/brake concerns

Hi all, forgive me in advance if this topic is being posted in the wrong section..

Owner of a new q5 purchased October of last year. Mileage to date is around 3500 with what feels like normal performance. However since the beginning whenever I would step off the brakes (not always, sometimes) i would hear a slight clink. Had always assumed this might have been common to new vehicles "breaking in". Break paddle also felt like it needed to be step on with some effort at times for the car to fully stop.. Again not always so thought it was normal.

Few days ago the engine light comes on and I worried. Decided to take car in for service even though was not due for one for another 1500 miles. Told the advisor about the engine light and the brakes which i didn't think was a problem.

Diagnostic at first was the engine light came on due to some component gone bad (was vague on description which I should have pushed for clarity), and that brake is fine after testing it in various conditions. A day was needed to order part for engine fix. Day 2 arrives and got call with new diagnostic saying brake pad and rotor is scorned and needed be replaced. No idea what scorned means but that's besides the point as the car is only driven 3500 miles to hear this....was pretty much told this isnt caused by parts defect but due to driver style and potentially due to terrible weather this year with all the salt on road. Advisor did say this seems uncommon and is reaching out to field management. Day 3 arrives and was notified that my brakes and rotor will be replaced out of goodwill for 1 time only but said they had no part and as it was Friday, earliest it would arrive will be Monday/ Tuesday.

I guess purpose of post is to get input from more experienced owners/consumers if any of this raises a red flag. Of course at the end of the day, i just want a reliable car that was paid with quite a bit of money for. Major concerns for me now would be if the engine light came on due to a bigger issue but was not communicated to me. and what happens should I have brake issues again after a few thousand miles... This time i might be forced to pay out of pocket. Any precaution i should be to taking in this or am I a bit paranoid....

Thanks so much
Old 03-02-2014, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Far as I know your car has 4 years warranty or 50,000 miles

From Audi:

New Vehicle Limited Warranty

Our limited warranty is simple. Four years. 50,000 miles. Whichever occurs first, you're covered at no additional charge.³

As an owner of a 2013 model, you will receive:

The first scheduled maintenance service at 5,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first, at no additional charge
Four years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first
12-year limited warranty against corrosion perforation¹
Audi 24-hour roadside assistance for 4 years4
Old 03-02-2014, 10:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my understanding audi warranty doesn't cover break pad and rotors and that they are only doing this 1 time for me out of "goodwill". I've never come across a situation where pads and rotor needed replacement from a new car driven only 3500 miles.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It is true that Audi warranty does not cover brake pad and rotors, but there is a problem with your
Something is wrong when you have to be replaced after only 3,500 miles.