AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/)
-   -   SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-sq5-mki-8r-discussion-129/sq5-mod-front-license-plate-removed-screw-holes-covered-w-black-out-tape-2856464/)

BayAreaQ7 11-05-2013 02:16 PM

SQ5 Mod: Front License Plate Removed & screw holes covered w/ Black out tape

5 Attachment(s)
Here in California, dealers are required to sell the car with a front license plate holder.

I wanted to remove the front license plate holder and came across a post that outlined how to cover the screw holes with black out tape. Here are my before and after pictures.

There were 4 screws holding the license plate bracket to the grill, and a center nipple that I had to shave down with a razor.

It was a quick 20 minute mod, and the Black out tape was the exact size needed to cover the whole area. I had my local auto parts store order this black out tape since it was not in stock.

I put the black out tape on three rows, it changes the plastic color from charcoal gray to black, but it still looks 100% factory...

scrmorling 11-05-2013 02:36 PM

Good job - the grill looks perfect in the pics. Steve

Xylar5 11-05-2013 03:10 PM

That looks great.

That tape has given me an idea. In Texas we are supposed to have a front plate as well, but I ordered mine with the filler instead of the plate holder. If we get hasseled to much, then I will order the plate holder and may use some of this tape to give it character.

tgt 11-05-2013 03:44 PM

Very nice indeed, great work.

-tgt

wrcardon 11-05-2013 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7 (Post 24506167)
Here in California, dealers are required to sell the car with a front license plate holder.

I wanted to remove the front license plate holder and came across a post that outlined how to cover the screw holes with black out tape. Here are my before and after pictures.

There were 4 screws holding the license plate bracket to the grill, and a center nipple that I had to shave down with a razor.

It was a quick 20 minute mod, and the Black out tape was the exact size needed to cover the whole area. I had my local auto parts store order this black out tape since it was not in stock.

I put the black out tape on three rows, it changes the plastic color from charcoal gray to black, but it still looks 100% factory...

Ha! I think I have those same Dakine Rack pads but haven't installed my roof rack yet. Are they the XL Aeros?

Dustin Fennell 11-05-2013 11:50 PM

Looks great!

AudiQ5sleeper 11-06-2013 03:49 AM

good work, too bad Boston cops are being a pain without the front plates.

dadizon 11-06-2013 04:45 AM

Cheap yet effective....great job. Your car looks rite!!

alatsacto 11-06-2013 07:31 AM

Just curious, what are the California regulations on the front license plate? I thought it is a must, but I'm not sure how strictly enforced it is.

jbbarrette 11-06-2013 07:49 AM

Yes, in Cali the front is a must. But the police won't pull you over for not having it on, but if they pull you over for something else, then they'll give you a 'fit it' ticket. I keep my front plate in the car and if I'm parking on the street, I'll through it in the front window. The front plate needs to be displayed, but it never states it has to be on the front bumper.